It's good to be a Melkite
(02-14-2012, 07:20 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 06:02 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: I'm sorry to break it up to you but the current wave of delatinisations is actually the imposition of discontinued Eastern practices on unwilling Easterners.

I'm not so sure about that.  I'm sure some individual easterners may prefer the Latin practices, but you paint a picture of nast bishops forcing practices on an entire body of faithful that don't want them, and that's just not the case.  The most de-latinized parishes are the ones that are also the most booming with young people, and young families with lots of kids.  They want tradition just like you do, they just don't want your tradition.  The parishes that are more latinized are generally geriatric parishes.  The one instance where I have read of a significant number of people in a parish being upset about de-latinizing, the people complaining weren't easterners, but Latin refugees who didn't have a traditional parish of their own to go to.  Of course they didn't want the Latin traditions being scrapped, they were THEIR traditions.  They didn't have any loyalty to the parish, though, because once a traditional parish did form, they up and left anyway, and the de-latinization resumed without complaint.

Is that your experience in the United States?

What about in the actual East? Ruthenia, for instance, which includes Belarus, Ukraine, Western Russia, etc. The latinisations in these territories date back to the 16th century.
(02-14-2012, 07:24 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Is that your experience in the United States?

What about in the actual East? Ruthenia, for instance, which includes Belarus, Ukraine, Western Russia, etc. The latinisations in these territories date back to the 16th century.

Well, North America, but yeah.  I've never been to an eastern parish in Europe, so I don't know about there.  Why would earlier latinizations there be significant though?  The Eastern Catholics here came from there, and didn't begin de-latinizing until after, so they were carrying over latinizations from there.  Unless you are speaking specifically of the Melkites.  I know they were never very latinized in the Middle East, and parishes over here became latinized when we didn't have an eparchy of our own.  Is that the difference you are pointing to?
Melkite does an infant ever choke or spit out the Holy Eucharist during a Melkite Mass?  What do the parents or the Melkite priest do in these instances?  Surely they don't try to jam the Holy Eucharist down the infants throat, do they?
(02-14-2012, 07:30 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 07:24 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Is that your experience in the United States?

Well, North America, but yeah.  I've never been to an eastern parish in Europe, so I don't know about there.  Why would earlier latinizations there be significant though?  The Eastern Catholics here came from there, and didn't begin de-latinizing until after, so they were carrying over latinizations from there.  Unless you are speaking specifically of the Melkites.  I know they were never very latinized in the Middle East, and parishes over here became latinized when we didn't have an eparchy of our own.  Is that the difference you are pointing to?

Ukranians, Ruthenians and related groups love them some Rosaries, and the Sacred Heart.  there have been pretty serious conflicts about the Hiearchs trying to forcibly take people's customs away in Eastern Europe.
(02-14-2012, 07:43 PM)mikemac Wrote: Melkite does an infant ever choke or spit out the Holy Eucharist during a Melkite Mass?  What do the parents or the Melkite priest do in these instances?  Surely they don't try to jam the Holy Eucharist down the infants throat, do they?

Infants are only given the consecrated wine, so it's a non-issue.
(02-14-2012, 08:15 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 07:43 PM)mikemac Wrote: Melkite does an infant ever choke or spit out the Holy Eucharist during a Melkite Mass?  What do the parents or the Melkite priest do in these instances?  Surely they don't try to jam the Holy Eucharist down the infants throat, do they?

Infants are only given the consecrated wine, so it's a non-issue.

Drinking at such an early age, huh?

I'm starting to understand why you cling so ferociously to this tradition.
(02-14-2012, 07:43 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 07:30 PM)Melkite Wrote: [quote='Vetus Ordo' pid='975562' dateline='1329261897']
Is that your experience in the United States?

Ukranians, Ruthenians and related groups love them some Rosaries, and the Sacred Heart.  there have been pretty serious conflicts about the Hiearchs trying to forcibly take people's customs away in Eastern Europe.

No wonder.
I am late to the party here but by the looks of things, it was a bit of a dry do. The Eastern Rite and the Western Rite are a perfect balance to the Body of Christ. The man hears better when he has two ears, the lady sees better when she has two eyes, the lungs both carry oxygen into the heart so that it may beat in perfect union with the soul and the God-given essence of the man.

And yes, I am an Eastern Rite Catholic. I came this way from Protestantism (Methodist) via Greek Orthodoxy. I am married to  a Greek Orthodox man 32 years, and my best friends tend to be Melkite, GO and Trad (FSSP) Catholics. We al get along just fine, thank you very much.

:pray2: :pray: :incense: :nun:  [Image: Greek-flag-smiley-ANI.gif?et=uPfrdyM%2BR...3VQ&nmid=0] [Image: Byzantine_icons1.jpg]
(02-14-2012, 08:22 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Drinking at such an early age, huh?

Ok, that's entirely uncalled for.  
(02-14-2012, 10:04 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 08:22 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Drinking at such an early age, huh?

Ok, that's entirely uncalled for.  

It was meant in jest. Don't be so uptight.