How would you feel about an Eastern Catholic Pontiff?
Well the title says it all.  How would you feel about an Eastern Catholic being elected as the Bishop of Rome?
I would be perfectly okay with it. A Catholic is a Catholic. He probably would have a hard time, since he would have to say the Latin Rite Mass everyday.
(02-13-2012, 02:58 AM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: I would be perfectly okay with it. A Catholic is a Catholic. He probably would have a hard time, since he would have to say the Latin Rite Mass everyday.

I don't think the Pope has any obligation to celebrate Mass every day or even every week, technically. But I know what you mean. When he does celebrate Mass, it would be unseemly to not use the Roman Rite when in Rome itself.
(02-13-2012, 03:00 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(02-13-2012, 02:58 AM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: I would be perfectly okay with it. A Catholic is a Catholic. He probably would have a hard time, since he would have to say the Latin Rite Mass everyday.

I don't think the Pope has any obligation to celebrate Mass every day or even every week, technically. But I know what you mean. When he does celebrate Mass, it would be unseemly to not use the Roman Rite when in Rome itself.

All priests, up to and including the Pope, have a daily Mass obligation since Trent.

I believe there were a few early pontiffs from the Eastern Church, but that was back in the "triple digit" era.  Though the Pope is Patriarch of the West (that title has been supressed http://www.catholic.org/international/in...p?id=19144) and Bishop of the Latin Rite Diocese of Rome he is above all Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church and he could legitimately come from any of Her "rites" I would think.

There is a provision for a priest to hold "bi-ritual faculties" (we've had a couple of those in my diocese) and I would suppose that is what would happen here.  When functioning officially as the Latin Rite Bishop of Rome he would use the Roman Missal and Sacramentary.  As Supreme Pontiff he could, in my opinion, legitametly use any of the approved liturgical rites of the Universal Church, which might offer excellent opportunities for the "teachable moment".  A public papal celebration of The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom would be an awe-some change from recent public Masses according to the 1969 missal, and might avoid the "ecclesiastical politicts" that may arise from use of the 1962 missal (which could irritate both N.O.'s and rad-trads, as neither of those seem to like the '62).

Certain Pontifical ceremonies (beatifications, canonizations, elevation of Cardinals, etc.) would in essence be "Latin Rite" but those are really ceremonies of the Universal Church.

For his routine private and semi-public celebration of the Hours and the Liturgy I see no reason why he couldn't use his "native rite" if he chose.
As long as he were genuinely a Catholic, there would be no problem.
(02-13-2012, 03:50 AM)Parmandur Wrote:

All priests, up to and including the Pope, have a daily Mass obligation since Trent.

I'd like a cite on that.
(02-13-2012, 04:10 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:

I'd like a cite on that.

Looks like I was wrong about the daily requirement.  Though it is true that Trent tightened up on what clergy had to do; Martin Luther as a priest would only celebrate Mass every few months, and that was not abnormal.
(02-13-2012, 04:21 AM)Parmandur Wrote:
(02-13-2012, 04:10 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:

I'd like a cite on that.

Looks like I was wrong about the daily requirement.  Though it is true that Trent tightened up on what clergy had to do; Martin Luther as a priest would only celebrate Mass every few months, and that was not abnormal.

That's what I thought. Even a Pastor has no obligation to celebrate Mass as long as he provides for Mass to be said for his people on Sundays and Holy Days. What all clerics in Major Orders do have is a strict obligation to the recitation of the Divine Office, to the point that the moralists discuss what percentage of a day's pay a cleric should forfeit for omitting one or more Hours.
I think it would be great.  This part of the Catholic Church is neglected and the situation you propose would bring more attention to it.