How would you feel about an Eastern Catholic Pontiff?
(02-14-2012, 01:17 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 01:16 PM)dueSicile Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 01:13 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 12:45 PM)dueSicile Wrote: He should be Italian. I'm not too much a fan of this whole school of thought wanting the pope to non-Italian/ not one of Roman Patrician stock. It's fitting that the Bishop of Rome be Roman, not either a northern barbarian :LOL: or effeminte easterner :P.

Even though St. Peter was not of "Roman Patrician stock"?

He was working on getting Romans to be Catholic so they could take over.

Evidence?

Look up. Ninja edit.
(02-14-2012, 12:45 PM)dueSicile Wrote: He should be Italian. I'm not too much a fan of this whole school of thought wanting the pope to non-Italian/ not one of Roman Patrician stock. It's fitting that the Bishop of Rome be Roman, not either a northern barbarian :LOL: or effeminte easterner :P.

Rofl, effeminate easterner!  We're not the ones with priests who have soft, clean-shaven faces, wear lacey vestments or sodomize young boys.  Your priests are hardly a picture of Godly masculinity :P
(02-14-2012, 01:16 PM)dueSicile Wrote: I was mostly being a smart alec, but I would in truth prefer a Roman Pope. Most of the the greats have been Italians.

That's not saying much, most of the popes were italians.
(02-14-2012, 01:53 PM)Melkite Wrote:

Rofl, effeminate easterner!  We're not the ones with priests who have soft, clean-shaven faces, wear lacey vestments or sodomize young boys.  Your priests are hardly a picture of Godly masculinity :P
Not that I have problem with it at all, but the Byzantine Catholic priest near me has a clean shaven face, wears a lot of lace on his alb.
And what is wrong with that picture of liturgical beauty and power?
(02-14-2012, 01:53 PM)Melkite Wrote:

Shaven doesn't mean womanly. Look at the soldiers of the US Army Airborne. Some of the toughest guys around, all clean shaven. Beards to me don't say masculinity. They say sloppiness.

The Frankish knights during the crusades were often (besides the Military Orders) shaven, and even the Turk admitted they were tougher than hell. I think it comes down to shaven= western.

And btw Pederast is a greek word, and their is a reason "greek" is slang for sodomy. And its common to see sodomites with beards. lol.
(02-13-2012, 05:35 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: The near-extinction of Thomism and of the method of doing theology (positive-speculative), solemnly approved by Pope St. Pius X (and given the loftiest of praise by over three dozen Pontiffs), have played a decisive role in leading up to today's sad state of Catholic theology.

I don't disagree.  My own confirmation saint is the Angelic Doctor, for whom I have great affection.  What I am saying is that the manualist tradition and Scholasticism generally, precise and accurate as they are, tend to lack what made St. Thomas such a great figure in the history and life of the Church - penetrating reason wedded with a healthy mystical devotion.  The Syriac scholar Andrew Palmer coined a pat phrase to describe the Syriac tradition of poetic theology in comparison to the Latin, and even Greek, theological traditions; whereas the latter is accurately characterized as fides quaerens intellectum, the Syriac poetic tradition is aptly termed fides adorans mysterium.  The divisions among Christians and the two "halves" of Christianity have set up an artificial opposition between dogmatics and mysticism, and an authentic renewal of theology will break down that barrier.
(02-14-2012, 02:05 PM)Old Salt Wrote: Not that I have problem with it at all, but the Byzantine Catholic priest near me has a clean shaven face, wears a lot of lace on his alb.
And what is wrong with that picture of liturgical beauty and power?

Byzantine Catholic priests don't wear albs, at least, not traditionally.  Is he a bi-ritual priest?

There's nothing wrong with it in and of itself.  Duesicile said that easterners were effeminate.  I was just reminding him that there is a lot about the East that makes the West look extremely feminine in comparison.  Kind of like a drag queen calling Chuck Norris a pansy.  It was one of those pot/kettle deals.
(02-14-2012, 02:05 PM)dueSicile Wrote: Shaven doesn't mean womanly. Look at the soldiers of the US Army Airborne. Some of the toughest guys around, all clean shaven. Beards to me don't say masculinity. They say sloppiness.

The Frankish knights during the crusades were often (besides the Military Orders) shaven, and even the Turk admitted they were tougher than hell. I think it comes down to shaven= western.

And btw Pederast is a greek word, and their is a reason "greek" is slang for sodomy. And its common to see sodomites with beards. lol.

Yes, of course, beardless doesn't have to be feminine.  But, let's face it.  God created a man's face to grow hair, and a woman's to stay smooth.  A beard is a symbol of masculinity, not sloppiness.  A clean shaven face is a symbol of femininity, not being rightly ordered.  This is why the Koran says a martyr will receive 28 beardless young men in paradise.  Beauty is feminine.  The men you cited would have been just as masculine if they had beards.

As far as greek being slang for sodomy, I have never heard that.  Even if it is, that's kind of irrelevant.  Most gay men want something pretty.  They are obsessed with physical beauty even moreso than a woman if possible.  The reason there is a subgroup of homosexuals who have beards and the fetish that goes along with it, is because hair is masculine, and, naturally, a homosexual will gravitate to the masculinity he feels is lacking in himself.  A beard, being a symbol of masculinity, acts as a beacon.  It's the same reason there is a huge father/son fetish in some circles of homosexuals.  They're trying to re-establish what they never had.
(02-14-2012, 03:06 PM)Melkite Wrote: Yes, of course, beardless doesn't have to be feminine.  But, let's face it.  God created a man's face to grow hair, and a woman's to stay smooth.  A beard is a symbol of masculinity, not sloppiness.  A clean shaven face is a symbol of femininity, not being rightly ordered.  This is why the Koran says a martyr will receive 28 beardless young men in paradise.  Beauty is feminine.  The men you cited would have been just as masculine if they had beards.

Beards are inconsequential to masculinity, especially in the West, which is undoubtedly a heritage from Roman times.

I like beards, and sport one myself, but there's something like overemphasis. That's what you and the Koran are doing.