where am I?
You can't stare at yourselves?

I could do that all day. It's too bad there's life out there.
(02-14-2012, 11:49 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: You can't stare at yourselves?

I could do that all day. It's too bad there's life out there.

Hah.  I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but no, I can't sit and stare into my own eyes for very long.  It brings about a scary existential experience, and everyone who I've asked to try it had the same experience.
#thinksvetushasn'tactuallytriedit
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(02-14-2012, 11:54 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: #thinksvetushasn'tactuallytriedit

#partlywantsvetustotryitbutmostlythinksheshouldnt
(02-14-2012, 11:22 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 11:10 AM)Walty Wrote: You can create an existential crisis by starting at yourself in the mirror.  Nothing happens for awhile and then all of a sudden...  a sort of surreal and scary feeling, realizing in a more full way that you exist.  It's really strange.

Anyway, I haven't done that in awhile.  I'm not sure it's actually a good or spiritually safe thing to do.  Interesting, though.

How true.  I did this once when I was like 15 or 16, and since then I can't look at myself in a mirror for more than 2 or 3 seconds-- at least for eye contact.

This is the same sensation that underlies fear of the Doppelganger. When you stare at your reflection, especially the eyes, you begin to feel that the reflection is stealing your existence from you.
(02-14-2012, 11:54 AM)Walty Wrote:

Hash tags = social degeneration.
(02-14-2012, 11:57 AM)Graham Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 11:10 AM)Walty Wrote: You can create an existential crisis by starting at yourself in the mirror.  Nothing happens for awhile and then all of a sudden...  a sort of surreal and scary feeling, realizing in a more full way that you exist.  It's really strange.

Anyway, I haven't done that in awhile.  I'm not sure it's actually a good or spiritually safe thing to do.  Interesting, though.

How true.  I did this once when I was like 15 or 16, and since then I can't look at myself in a mirror for more than 2 or 3 seconds-- at least for eye contact.

This is the same sensation that underlies fear of the Doppelganger. When you stare at your reflection, especially the eyes, you begin to feel that the reflection is stealing your existence from you.

It's a superstitious fear.
(02-14-2012, 12:00 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 11:54 AM)Walty Wrote:

Hash tags = social degeneration.

#disagreeswithvetusagreeswithwalty.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(02-14-2012, 12:00 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

It's a superstitious fear.

Go thy ways, old Jack;

Well, part of the sensation is what I can only describe as the crushing realization of existence.  It's such an immensely serious thing to exist that it weighs down upon you when you see beyond the veil, so to speak.

But, what you said makes a lot of sense too.  I think that it may very well be a part of the phenomenon, but the majority of it comes from this terrible sense of existing.  It stays with you for a bit, even after you leave the mirror.