where am I?
(02-14-2012, 11:10 AM)Walty Wrote: You can create an existential crisis by starting at yourself in the mirror.  Nothing happens for awhile and then all of a sudden...  a sort of surreal and scary feeling, realizing in a more full way that you exist.  It's really strange.

Anyway, I haven't done that in awhile.  I'm not sure it's actually a good or spiritually safe thing to do.  Interesting, though.

I haven't tried the mirror thing for long, but once and a rare while, I get the weirdest, strangest feeling that the person I am talking to is a person.  I mean, they're not just someone who talk to, but a person who has an existence even when you're not talking to them, with thoughts and all.  Its really hard to describe.

(02-14-2012, 02:44 PM)drummerboy Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 11:10 AM)Walty Wrote: You can create an existential crisis by starting at yourself in the mirror.  Nothing happens for awhile and then all of a sudden...  a sort of surreal and scary feeling, realizing in a more full way that you exist.  It's really strange.

Anyway, I haven't done that in awhile.  I'm not sure it's actually a good or spiritually safe thing to do.  Interesting, though.

I haven't tried the mirror thing for long, but once and a rare while, I get the weirdest, strangest feeling that the person I am talking to is a person.  I mean, they're not just someone who talk to, but a person who has an existence even when you're not talking to them, with thoughts and all.  Its really hard to describe.

It's "hard to describe" because it's a projection of your conscience.

Don't get sucked up by these superstitious frivolities.
(02-14-2012, 03:10 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Don't get sucked up by these superstitious frivolities.

Seriously. I can't tell if they are "for real" or just kidding, but I see a lot of superstitious tendencies around here.

(02-14-2012, 04:00 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 03:10 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Don't get sucked up by these superstitious frivolities.

Seriously. I can't tell if they are "for real" or just kidding, but I see a lot of superstitious tendencies around here.

Superstition is very difficult to shake off. It's inbred in us.

Man is definitely an animal superstitiosum. Sometimes, not even the positive influence of religion can uproot it.
(02-14-2012, 03:10 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

I think you misunderstand what DB is saying.  Because the person you're talking to is a person.  It's kind of like ostrich/head in the sand sort of deal.  We tend to only take into account those things which are in our immediate knowledge-- and I know exactly what he's saying, when you see a person that you're talking to as a person with an existence separate to your own, that they have their own private thoughts, own private affairs, etc.  Things that only they and God know, just like you have things only you and God know, from the simple to the profound.  And it is weird, and it is hard to describe.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(02-14-2012, 04:57 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

I think you misunderstand what DB is saying.  Because the person you're talking to is a person.  It's kind of like ostrich/head in the sand sort of deal.  We tend to only take into account those things which are in our immediate knowledge-- and I know exactly what he's saying, when you see a person that you're talking to as a person with an existence separate to your own, that they have their own private thoughts, own private affairs, etc.  Things that only they and God know, just like you have things only you and God know, from the simple to the profound.  And it is weird, and it is hard to describe.

And it's nonsensical.

It's not another person, it's just you. It's why it's called "talking to oneself." You're falling for the projections of your own mind.
(02-14-2012, 05:08 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 04:57 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

And it's nonsensical.

It's not another person, it's just you. It's why it's called "talking to oneself." You're falling for the projections of your own mind.

DB is actually talking about another person.  Not looking in the mirror.  Like if you and me met in person, and one of us had a moment where we saw the other as an actual person, not just as someone to talk to.  As a soul, as someone who exists completely independent and alien to the other.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
Ah, ok. That's completely different, although it was worded in a weird way.

I thought he was talking about the mirror experience.
(02-14-2012, 05:18 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Ah, ok. That's completely different, although it was worded in a weird way.

I thought he was talking about the mirror experience.

Well, he started talking about the mirror initially but changed the thought.  If he was talking about himself as being another person like that then it would especially be weird, even I (with all my own mirror problems) would admit that.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
Yeah, is wasn't talking about the mirror experience.  Sorry for not making that clearer.  Mith was spot on with his explanations.