Will the gamble pay off? Divide and Conquer...
the gamble of the obamination:
http://www.realcatholictv.com/daily/vort.php

A timed attack. And the dissenters are on the ride of intrinsic evil and with NO consequences. It is nice that the bishops did seem to bristle about the evil mandate but there are the other powerful “catholics” who side with the white house. Split the Church: divide and conquer.

And in Washington state the c[u]atholic governor[/u] signed a gay "marriage" bill into law with NO religious exemptions.  How many will cave?  Plenty of "inclusive" churches will be happy to provide the perverse ceremony but you know that they will target the Catholics and some other: fines and jail....to start.

Keep in mind that St. Thomas More died for the tenets of the faith that was the sanctity of marriage and the primacy of the Pope. We can NOT backslide on any tenet of the Truth.

What hill are we willing to die on?
There are storm clouds gathering on the horizon and things could get ugly. I think it really depends more then anything else on whether or not bishops, priests and the laity are willing to get serious, vocal and uncompromising about proclaiming and living the Faith. Should it appear to the powers that be that the Catholic Church is becoming a force to be reckoned with after what seemed to be it's rotting twilight (the post Vatican II orgy of heresy, novelty and silence that has characterized the past few decades) they will unleash all the powers of hell on us to try to deal a deathblow that silences us forever so that no one is left to oppose their march toward a global culture of death. If us Catholics do not take these threats seriously or back down after making bold statements then the enemy knows we are weak and it will be business as uaual, but business as usual means we are slowly being robbed of our freedoms to worship and live as Catholics and we will eventually be forced to choose between Christ or Belial anyway. This is why I said previously that we should feel blessed that right now we can worship in realtive peace, wear our scapulars and crucifixes in public and perhaps even pray a rosary while we are walking down the street, not to mention some of us have access to daily Mass and with it Holy Communion. The way things are headed not just in the US but in the West in general there might be a time in the very near future when all that we have now will be taken away and we will have only our faith and the memories in our hearts. Now is the time to prepare and take advantage of all that we have access to.
Wait, what?  Churches in Washington state can be forced to perform gay marriages?
I am willing to die on whatever hill God chooses me to die on.  I only pray I will be given the grace and strength to accept my martyrdom.

As for Obama, this isn't really much of a gamble.  The bishops are going to lose on this, big time.  They aren't used to being vociferous public defenders of the Faith.  Most of them are politicians of one form or another.  If things start to get a little rough, the bishops will dive beneath their cathedras like a barn cat hiding in a hay loft.  The bishops have ZERO moral authority at the moment and they only have themselves and their predecessors going back 50+ years to blame for it.  It would take years to rebuild that moral authority, and men in office actually willing to do the work to begin the rebuilding process.  Sadly, we have neither years nor (with a few noble exceptions) the men capable of recapturing their lost authority.
If the bishops act like barncats(which I tend to think you are right, I have no reason to view them otherwise) it will come down to each of us individual Catholics to uphold the Faith in our own lives and in the lives of our families come what may. We must each be prepared to look at everything through the eyes of the Faith and "in the species of eternity" as the saying goes so that we are not tempted to compromise no matter what, even if it costs us our jobs or our lives. I really believe that the time is coming very soon where we will be asked to choose between our Faith or prison or worse. We really do need lots of grace for when that happens. As the late Father Hardon once said in the light of eternity all the suffering in this life is worth the reward. If we can view things with an eye towards eternity all of our suffering can be put in perspective. Perhaps we ought to prepare ourselves by reflecting on this sort of thing. Hard times are ahead.
(02-14-2012, 11:01 PM)Melkite Wrote: Wait, what?  Churches in Washington state can be forced to perform gay marriages?

A bit of an over reaction, I'd say, since the law says in its second paragraph:

Washington State SB 6239, as engrossed for the Governors signature Wrote:p. 1, 7 (4) No regularly licensed or ordained minister or any priest, imam,
8 rabbi, or similar official of any religious organization is required to
9 solemnize or recognize any marriage. A regularly licensed or ordained
10 minister or priest, imam, rabbi, or similar official of any religious
11 organization shall be immune from any civil claim or cause of action
12 based on a refusal to solemnize or recognize any marriage under this
13 section. No state agency or local government may base a decision to
14 penalize, withhold benefits from, or refuse to contract with any
15 religious organization on the refusal of a person associated with such
16 religious organization to solemnize or recognize a marriage under this
17 section.

18 (5) No religious organization is required to provide
19 accommodations, facilities, advantages, privileges, services, or goods
20 related to the solemnization or celebration of a marriage.

21 (6) A religious organization shall be immune from any civil claim
22 or cause of action, including a claim pursuant to chapter 49.60 RCW,
23 based on its refusal to provide accommodations, facilities, advantages,
24 privileges, services, or goods related to the solemnization or
25 celebration of a marriage

26 (7) For purposes of this section:
27 (a) "Recognize" means to provide religious-based services that:
28 (i) Are delivered by a religious organization, or by an individual
29 who is managed, supervised, or directed by a religious organization;
30 and
31 (ii) Are designed for married couples or couples engaged to marry
32 and are directly related to solemnizing, celebrating, strengthening, or
33 promoting a marriage, such as religious counseling programs, courses,
34 retreats, and workshops; and
35 (b) "Religious organization" includes, but is not limited to,
36 churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, nondenominational ministries,
37 interdenominational and ecumenical organizations, mission
p. 3 1 organizations, faith-based social agencies, and other entities whose
2 principal purpose is the study, practice, or advancement of religion.

Seems to me that the statute itself exempts virtually every form of religion and religious organisation from the law.