Divisions in Your Family?
The only trads in my family are my husband and my mother.  None on my husband's side, either.  It's hard at times, as we end up having to explain a lot of the choices we make.  No, we cannot attend an event on Sunday morning, we have Mass.  No, we can't go to Church on Saturday night.  No, I'm not having in vitro.  No, thank you, we don't go to strip clubs.
My parents are devout trad Catholics (trad to a certain degree). The rest of my extended family are all cafeteria/lapsed Catholics, Lutheran, or Atheists. This has caused division for us in that my parents decided to move to another state when they got married to be away from all extended family including grandparents in order to raise their family in a devout Catholic environment.

I am grateful for their move, and can see how it has protected my Faith, but I do miss having grown up with cousins, grandparents etc around me.
(02-15-2012, 06:23 AM)Aragon Wrote: She's the classic liberal who can't imagine doing anything for a greater cause because, for her, there's nothing greater than the individual ego.

This is a great line because it is so true.
In my family (6 children) I am the only trad. 4 Novus Ordo and one sister does not practice. My wife comes from a family of nine children. 8 Traditional (including one SSPX priest, One SSPX brother and one 30 year teacher at SSPX School in St. Marys, KS) One brother who does not practice.

Pretty impressive adhesion to tradition on her side of the family. Both of our parents are dead (her mom died recently). Her folks were both staunchly traditional and were one of the founding families of North American Martyrs (SSPX). My folks both begrudgingly went with the Vatican II thing and practiced until the day they died. Requiscat in pace
I get along well with all family members, but my attemps to "convert" so far have not born fruit with the possible exception of one sibling.

(02-15-2012, 08:47 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote: In my family (6 children) I am the only trad. 4 Novus Ordo and one sister does not practice. My wife comes from a family of nine children. 8 Traditional (including one SSPX priest, One SSPX brother and one 30 year teacher at SSPX School in St. Marys, KS) One brother who does not practice.

Pretty impressive adhesion to tradition on her side of the family. Both of our parents are dead (her mom died recently). Her folks were both staunchly traditional and were one of the founding families of North American Martyrs (SSPX). My folks both begrudgingly went with the Vatican II thing and practiced until the day they died. Requiscat in pace
I get along well with all family members, but my attemps to "convert" so far have not born fruit with the possible exception of one sibling.

Dude, kudos to your parents and in-laws. All bar one practicing from your family (even if the others are Novus Ordo..) and two vocations and nearly all the rest practicing trads. That's very impressive. Is such a high retention rate among children from traditional families common in America or did your wife's parents just do an exceptional job?
(02-15-2012, 10:43 AM)Aragon Wrote:
(02-15-2012, 08:47 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote: In my family (6 children) I am the only trad. 4 Novus Ordo and one sister does not practice. My wife comes from a family of nine children. 8 Traditional (including one SSPX priest, One SSPX brother and one 30 year teacher at SSPX School in St. Marys, KS) One brother who does not practice.

I get along well with all family members, but my at temps to "convert" so far have not born fruit with the possible exception of one sibling.

Dude, kudos to your parents and in-laws. All bar one practicing from your family (even if the others are Novus Ordo..) and two vocations and nearly all the rest practicing trads. That's very impressive. Is such a high retention rate among children from traditional families common in America or did your wife's parents just do an exceptional job?

The later...Her folks were awesome!!!

They never regularly attended the Novus Ordo. Her dad told me a story once about a N.O mass they attended due to a family commitment that could not be avoided in Quebec. They got in line for communion and everybody else was receiving Our Lord in the hand.

Her dad got to the priest and knelt down before him and stuck his tongue out. The priest whispered to him "Stand up." Her dad continued to kneel. He whispered it more loudly and her dad continued to kneel with his tongue out. Finally he awkwardly placed the host on his tongue (after dropping it onto the paten accidentally).

The priest came over to her dad immediately after mass and said "come see me in the sacristy now!" her dad walked back and got chewed out. Finally after the priest was finished; her dad said "Vatican II says that we should receive God kneeling reverently,"he turned and went back to his pew to say his final prayers.  :)
My father was really against my conversion. He is a member of the Church of Christ, but he grew up in that Independent Filipino Catholic Church that was deemed heretical (I forgot the name of it). Because of his upbringing in that church, he has false impressions of the actual Catholic Church. In fact I did not tell him I was converting because I was afraid he would show up at my baptism and confirmation and try to drag me out of there. My stepmom also grew up Catholic but left the Church a long time ago. My dad and stepmom dont say anything about me being a Catholic now, but I can tell they dislike it.

My mom and step dad were very supportive of me even though they are agnostic. They were at my baptism and confirmation.

Last year my cousins visited and this was the first time that we had ever met. We all got along really great until I told them I was Catholic. One of my cousins is openly homosexual and he kept his distance from me after that. So that was pretty sad.
Only trad in my family.  My own family is mostly Hindus, some protestants in my more extended family.  My wife is not really a trad but she is Catholic, goes to Mass (to the TLM because there's where I choose to go and she comes along for family unity).  She mostly prays the rosary with me, but certainly is not as interested in devotions as I am.  We do pray a more free vocal prayer together.

My daughter is hopefully a future devoted traditional Catholic!

My wife's family is mostly all lapsed Catholics.  They sometimes pray, they believe, but they don't go to Mass, some due to great misunderstandings (e.g. a family member remarried, no anullment, but never had a true marriage with previous man, can't believe it when I tell her she should still go to Mass but just can't receive, and that she should get her marriage regularized and it would be quick).  Other family members don't care enough to go Mass, are truly lapsed.  Her mother does seem to go to Mass and confession (she certainly comes with us every time when we are in Colombia visiting).
(02-14-2012, 11:28 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: My entire family, close and extended, is made up of cultural Catholics and benevolent secularists, with some very few exceptions.

That's what God saw fit for me. Praised be He!

This.

I figure mine are on their way to becoming devout Catholics. I was once what they are.  And there is no one in my family hostile to the faith. There is no division. We get along great and I continue to pray for them, trusting in God who loves them even more than I do. One day they'll be praying for me.
(02-15-2012, 12:10 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(02-14-2012, 11:28 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: My entire family, close and extended, is made up of cultural Catholics and benevolent secularists, with some very few exceptions.

That's what God saw fit for me. Praised be He!

This.

I figure mine are on their way to becoming devout Catholics. I was once what they are.  And there is no one in my family hostile to the faith. There is no division. We get along great and I continue to pray for them, trusting in God who loves them even more than I do. One day they'll be praying for me.

This, for the most part. One by one they seem to be coming Home. Actually we have a few truly secular (and a few cultural Jews by marriage) but no anti-Catholics. I don't like to label myself trad but if I did it would make me the only one.