Lenten Pick Me-up
I wasn't paying the food comment any mind. Not that I don't agree with him to an extent, I just have more important stuff to worry about. The whole environmental food extremist crap is a neo-pagan religion of sorts. A satanic ploy to get people to stop worshiping God and start worshiping the things God created.
I saw an article that said animals won't drink milk after it's been microwaved. I eat a lot of frozen vegetables and I microwave them, so I figure it's only a little time before I glow in the dark.

tim
(02-19-2012, 11:18 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: I wasn't paying the food comment any mind. Not that I don't agree with him to an extent, I just have more important stuff to worry about. The whole environmental food extremist crap is a neo-pagan religion of sorts. A satanic ploy to get people to stop worshiping God and start worshiping the things God created.

Though there are obviously legitimate forms of healthy, organic eating, the stridency with which the modern West approaches these things betray much of it as a secular replacement for religious observance.
(02-19-2012, 11:10 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(02-19-2012, 11:07 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote:
(02-19-2012, 11:00 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(02-19-2012, 10:44 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(02-19-2012, 10:35 PM)DrBombay Wrote: I'm pretty sure that drink violates the fast.  Only water may be taken between meals.

So, yeah.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

You're wrong, of course. From the FE website:

Quote:Fasting is the taking of only one full meal (which may include meat) and two smaller, meatless meals that don't equal the large one meal. No eating between meals is allowed, but water, milk tea, cofee, and juices are OK. Meat is allowed at one meal (assuming abstience isn't also expected on a given day). Traditionally, everyone over 21 years of age and under 59 years of age is bound to observe the law of fast; but the present Code of Canon Law sets the ages of 18 and 59 as the limits.

The Deposit of Faith does not reside on the FE website.   :tiphat:
Sources?  References?

You're good.  You can drink milk and coffee.  And ignore what the vegan tree hugger told you about milk.  Milk is good for you.

TO the OP: ignore the Monsanto agent and Mossad operative. He's bad for your soul and body.
(02-19-2012, 11:24 PM)aquinas138 Wrote:
(02-19-2012, 11:18 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: I wasn't paying the food comment any mind. Not that I don't agree with him to an extent, I just have more important stuff to worry about. The whole environmental food extremist crap is a neo-pagan religion of sorts. A satanic ploy to get people to stop worshiping God and start worshiping the things God created.

Though there are obviously legitimate forms of healthy, organic eating, the stridency with which the modern West approaches these things betray much of it as a secular replacement for religious observance.

So I am now guilty of a deadly sin(vanity) for producing my own food and eating organic, and then wanting the same for others?
I mean, it technically doesn't break the fast as a matter of law, but 2 cups of whole milk is 300 calories not counting any sugar... not exactly a reasonable definition of fasting.
I don't think that the obsession with organic food found amongst some people today is really a replacement for religious observance amongst most people in the modern West. It might be for some, but most Westerners are far more likely to worship the "Invisible Hand" that brings them cheap, industrially produced food.
(02-19-2012, 11:31 PM)Misplaced Zeal Wrote: I mean, it technically doesn't break the fast as a matter of law, but 2 cups of whole milk is 300 calories not counting any sugar... not exactly a reasonable definition of fasting.

Perhaps I will rethink this. I will talk to my spiritual director and pray.  Thanks for your input!
Booze doesn't break the fast either.  Yep.
(02-19-2012, 11:32 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: I don't think that the obsession with organic food found amongst some people today is really a replacement for religious observance amongst most people in the modern West. It might be for some, but most Westerners are far more likely to worship the "Invisible Hand" that brings them cheap, industrially produced food.

I really don't worry about this stuff. I eat as healthfully as I can with what is available to me. Other than that I worry about being a good husband, father, and servant of God. I don't have time for the nutrition nazi crap.