Lenten Pick Me-up
(02-19-2012, 11:35 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Booze doesn't break the fast either.  Yep.

I don't drink. I tend to act very unchristian like when exposed to alcohol.
(02-19-2012, 11:28 PM)Heinrich Wrote:
(02-19-2012, 11:24 PM)aquinas138 Wrote:
(02-19-2012, 11:18 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: I wasn't paying the food comment any mind. Not that I don't agree with him to an extent, I just have more important stuff to worry about. The whole environmental food extremist crap is a neo-pagan religion of sorts. A satanic ploy to get people to stop worshiping God and start worshiping the things God created.

Though there are obviously legitimate forms of healthy, organic eating, the stridency with which the modern West approaches these things betray much of it as a secular replacement for religious observance.

So I am now guilty of a deadly sin(vanity) for producing my own food and eating organic, and then wanting the same for others?

No, and I did not intend to group you in by my comment.  Eating healthy and thinking others should do the same is perfectly reasonable.
(02-19-2012, 11:31 PM)Misplaced Zeal Wrote: I mean, it technically doesn't break the fast as a matter of law, but 2 cups of whole milk is 300 calories not counting any sugar... not exactly a reasonable definition of fasting.

If it doesn't break the fast, then why do you feel the need to criticize it?
(02-19-2012, 11:52 PM)Jenn Wrote:
(02-19-2012, 11:31 PM)Misplaced Zeal Wrote: I mean, it technically doesn't break the fast as a matter of law, but 2 cups of whole milk is 300 calories not counting any sugar... not exactly a reasonable definition of fasting.

If it doesn't break the fast, then why do you feel the need to say anything about it?

I don't mean to offend.  I applaud Adam_Michael speaking with his Spiritual Director about this rather than relying on random internet strangers.  However, you would certainly agree that replacing your meals with calorie-heavy protein shakes is not exactly in keeping with the spirit of fasting?  Or, waiting until midnight to have a big steak on a day of abstinence?  One can certainly do these things in keeping with the laws of the Church, but it's surely not a bad thing to try harder.

So now we're counting calories? Seems awfully legalistic to me.
(02-20-2012, 12:00 AM)Misplaced Zeal Wrote: I don't mean to offend.  I applaud Adam_Michael speaking with his Spiritual Director about this rather than relying on random internet strangers.  However, you would certainly agree that replacing your meals with calorie-heavy protein shakes is not exactly in keeping with the spirit of fasting?  Or, waiting until midnight to have a big steak on a day of abstinence?  One can certainly do these things in keeping with the laws of the Church, but it's surely not a bad thing to try harder.

Coffee and milk + some sugar is not a meal replacement. It's a drink. When I have my morning coffee with cream, I'm having my coffee not drinking my breakfast. What I have trouble with is people deciding that other people are not keeping with the spirit of fasting. Some people may be able to get by on water and 3 tablespoons of gruel, but others will be unable to function on such a thing. Some people also have very physically demanding jobs and they have to have enough calories to function. The Church has defined the rules of the Lenten fast. It is not for us to decide how much harder others should try.
Quote:However, you would certainly agree that replacing your meals with calorie-heavy protein shakes is not exactly in keeping with the spirit of fasting?

have you ever been on a liquid diet or meal replacement diet? it's NOT fun, and while yes, technically you're consuming only the calories you need, it certainly doesn't feel that way to your stomach.
I apologize for my poorly-thought-through posts, especially if I mislead anyone spiritually.
I thought you meant pick-up lines! That would have been a great thread . . .
"Hey baby, you're lookin' good today.  You on a diet or is it Lent"
Snerk