Trads Make Their Own Reps
It's become cliche on NO dominated forums.. " Trads are judgmental"  " It's that type of attitude that keeps me away from trad chapels"  etc.

Why do we hate, bicker, and argue so much ?

Trads seem to agree on one thing if nothing else, that there is a crisis in the Church. So in times when we should stand together, why does anything go ? Is the right to be angry a right to be anything we please ?

Any trad forum, not just this one. Pride, clique clack, anger, self-righteousness, selfishness, ... I could list more, but the point is, all of the negative traits always outweigh any love we encounter here.

Why ?

Edit: Note I said "we" .... I'm as guilty as anyone, and I am ashamed of it. I caught myself doing it a few minutes before starting this thread. Think of all the first time guests who come here and see this stuff.
Traditionalism appeals to a certain sort of person. I don't know that there is much you can do about it.
Original sin and differing opinions on how the crisis should be resisted.
The Fish Eaters website says this:
Quote:Traditional Catholics fall into three main categories:

The first and by far the largest group consists of those Catholics who accept the acclaimed Pope and his recent predecessors as true Popes and who believe that the Second Vatican Council was a valid, albeit problematic, Council. In this group are included:

those who attend parishes where Masses are offered in accordance with Pope Benedict XVI's Motu Proprio "Summorum Pontificum", most often celebrated by priests of the Fraternal Society of St Peter (F.S.S.P.) or the Institute of Christ the King (I.C.K), and

those who attend chapels or oratories where Masses are offered by priests of the Priestly Society of St. Pius X (S.S.P.X.) 4 and other such priestly fraternities outside of ordinary diocesan structures.

The second group consists of those who are unsure about the status of the acclaimed Pope. Many such Catholics worship at Masses offered by the Society of Saint Pius V (S.S.P.V.).

The third group consisists of "sedevacantist" Catholics, that is Catholics who believe that the Catholic Church has not had a true Pope for some time (most consider Pope Pius XII as the last true Pope) and who, depending on the time they see as the moment the "Chair of Peter" (sede) became empty (vacante), may or may not see Vatican II as a valid Council. Many sedevacantists attend Masses offered by the Congregation of Mary Immaculate Queen (C.M.R.I.).

I don't see how disagreement between these groups is avoidable.  They are fundamentally different ways of framing the problems and seeking solutions.  In many cases, people in one of these categories do not recognize those in other categories as Catholic.
Hard love, baby!.

The problem is, "hard love" only goes so far. You can't just pretend you're Saint Paul admonishing Saint Peter all the time, let alone pretend the other person is your average Bar-Jesus. Sometimes one can just act like Jesus did with Zacchaeus or the master of the law in Mark 12, that's where prudence comes into play.
(02-19-2012, 08:45 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: Traditionalism appeals to a certain sort of person. I don't know that there is much you can do about it.

Particularly, traditionalists who post on the internet.

My experience with real-life trads is that they are well adjusted people. On the internet, notsomuch.
(02-19-2012, 09:20 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: My experience with real-life trads is that they are well adjusted people.

I'm always puzzled when I hear this. Well adjusted to what, I ask? To the world, it always turns out. And so it always turns out that the person saying this finds none of my heroes to be well adjusted, as they all opposed the world. Socrates. St. Augustine. St. Ignatius. St. Alphonsus. And on and on.
(02-19-2012, 09:30 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:
(02-19-2012, 09:20 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: My experience with real-life trads is that they are well adjusted people.

I'm always puzzled when I hear this. Well adjusted to what, I ask? To the world, it always turns out. And so it always turns out that the person saying this finds none of my heroes to be well adjusted, as they all opposed the world. Socrates. St. Augustine. St. Ignatius. St. Alphonsus. And on and on.

Quod erat demonstratum.
(02-19-2012, 09:30 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:

Well adjusted mentally? Sometimes reading the internet might leave you with the impression that all traditionalists live in bunkers. Most traditionalists I've met in real life are affable, intelligent people who are just trying to save their souls in our messed up world. They're normal in the sense that they're sane; not that they've conformed themselves to the morality and spirit of the world as you're implying.
(02-19-2012, 09:20 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(02-19-2012, 08:45 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: Traditionalism appeals to a certain sort of person. I don't know that there is much you can do about it.

Particularly, traditionalists who post on the internet.

My experience with real-life trads is that they are well adjusted people. On the internet, notsomuch.

I wouldn't judge any group by how it is represented on the internet.  For many people, going online brings out the worst in them.