Explaining Virgin Martyrs to Children
Many thanks to su I now own a copy of the lives of the saints.  We have been reading it daily, and the book often lists what kind of person that particular saint was. i.e. Priest, Martyr and so on.
I am sure that very soon my little girl is going to be asking what a virgin is, as the book lists many Virgin Martyrs.  She goes to a parochial school, so she obviously knows of the Virgin Mary, but I think at this point she just knows that as part of her title.  She is only 7 and we haven't had the talk just yet, and I'm not entirely sure how to explain what a virgin is specifically, and more specifically what virgin martyrdom might entail.
Any ideas?
When my children were that age, we used the expression "special married cuddling" to talk about such things. So I would say something like this:
"When a man and a woman love each other very much they get married and there is a special kind of cuddling they do then that makes a baby grow inside the mommy.  When people don't do that special married cuddling they are called virgins.  Sometimes people decide to love God so much that they can't love another person enough to get married.  Sometimes bad people get angry at them for loving God so much and kill them.  People who get killed like that are called virgin martyrs."
Explain it in terms that she can understand: that the Saint in question maintained a special purity that gaver the Saint a particular quality.  You can even say it is like having a soul of pure snow!

These are just ideas off the top of my head.

NB: Corrections in strikethrough and underline!
(02-19-2012, 11:52 PM)JayneK Wrote: When my children were that age, we used the expression "special married cuddling" to talk about such things. So I would say something like this:
"When a man and a woman love each other very much they get married and there is a special kind of cuddling they do then that makes a baby grow inside the mommy.  When people don't do that special married cuddling they are called virgins.  Sometimes people decide to love God so much that they can't love another person enough to get married.  Sometimes bad people get angry at them for loving God so much and kill them.  People who get killed like that are called virgin martyrs."

That's a pretty good way of explaining. Thanks for sharing.
I'm not sure about "special married cuddling."  If you're going to go that far you might as well drop the euphemisms and explain the whole thing.  Don't get too cute with kids.  They might resent it later on.
Don't make it complicated.  I think Theoden's right.  Your daughter is seven.  Tell her virgin martyrs were pure and they were martyrs.  YOu don't need to tell her about special cuddling.

Although I suppose it might make more sense to her to say a virgin is someone who gets married to God, not another human.  Or something like that.  I dunno.  Just keep it really simple.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
I wasn't explained anything at all, and essentially learned through curiosity (I looked it up in the dictionary in 7th or 8th grade). Dr. B., you do have a point.
(02-19-2012, 11:58 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Although I suppose it might make more sense to her to say a virgin is someone who gets married to God, not another human.

I like that idea most.
I would say they are special people who are married to God.
(02-19-2012, 11:57 PM)DrBombay Wrote: I'm not sure about "special married cuddling."  If you're going to go that far you might as well drop the euphemisms and explain the whole thing.  Don't get too cute with kids.  They might resent it later on.

It was never a problem with any of my seven kids.  We just gradually added more details as they grew older.