It's not "goodbye."....It's just goodbye.
(02-23-2012, 03:54 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(02-21-2012, 11:39 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(02-21-2012, 11:32 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: How'd you get back in here, Vetus?  Hi!

I can't tell you that. I'd have to kill you afterwards.

>sad
To continue the joke, you answer:
Don't tell me, just tell it to my husband!
(02-23-2012, 03:07 PM)Jenn Wrote:
(02-23-2012, 02:51 PM)piabee Wrote:
(02-23-2012, 10:38 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: First of all, to whomever the limp wristed guy was who said older or married men find no use for younger or single women, because they have no utiltarian purpose, you are the main reason that misogyny, real, but in most cases, perceived, actually exists.

You don't even know Iolanthe. Why would you say this?

I'm pretty sure his statement was not directed at Iolanthe...

ETA: The more I read it, the more confused I am.

I agree that it's not directed at Iolanthe.  I think he is saying that misogyny does not exist as much as some think it does, but when it does exist it expresses the attitude that women should have a utilitarian purpose.
(02-23-2012, 10:38 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: First of all, to whomever the limp wristed guy was

Hi!

Quote:who said older or married men find no use for younger or single women, because they have no utiltarian purpose, you are the main reason that misogyny, real, but in most cases, perceived, actually exists.

To clarify, let's take a look at the pertinent texts.  First, Iolanthe wrote:

(02-20-2012, 10:20 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: There's something else I'd like to address before going. [ . . . ] at least half a dozen times, I've been ridiculed by married men for being single. I honestly can't wrap my brain around this concept. I have never stated that I hate marriage or family life, or that I plan to stay single for the rest of my life. I've never told people on here whether not I was ever dating anyone at any given moment. I've always spoken well of marriage and Catholic family life. I'm happy in my state of life right now, and if I get married in the future, I'll be happy about that too.

And yet somehow this is turned into an insult by the men on here. Maybe before I go, somebody can explain the reasoning behind this. [ . . . ] It's very notable that only married men do this. Women never have, and neither have any single men. (Well, except Telemaque, but I'm not sure he counts.) So what is the deal?

Then, in direct response to the above-quoted material by Iolanthe, I wrote (with emphasis added for Adam Wayne):

(02-20-2012, 10:44 PM)tmw89 Wrote: Stab in the dark:  this might come from a somewhat... utilitarian attitude some men may have toward women.  The reasoning is something like "If not a wife and (possibly) also a mother, or a consecrated religious, what is her use?"

Some.  Not the entirety of our sex.  And I said nothing about how others have no use for unmarried women - only that some men may ponder the usefulness (or uselessness) of an unmarried woman ("If not a wife and (possibly) also a mother, or a consecrated religious, what is her use?")  I thought any reader could deduce from the tone of what I wrote that I did not advocate for what I identified as an "utilitarian attitude," quite the opposite... but such is the way of the Internet...
That is how I understood your comment.
No explanation necessary.

Way to go!
(02-21-2012, 09:01 AM)JayneK Wrote:
(02-21-2012, 03:42 AM)piabee Wrote:
(02-20-2012, 10:43 PM)JayneK Wrote: Using a good-bye post to insult and criticize people is not classy.

Neither are backhanded insults. Have you forgotten the "Memories of Vetus" thread already?

These are hardly comparable situations.  Iolanthe used her goodbye post to call out several people by name and generally insult members of this forum.  But we are supposed to say nothing about it because it is her good-bye thread.  Since everybody has to be nice to people who are leaving,  the people that Iolanthe is attacking don't count.

Well that post was very mild compared to how strongly I feel.  That was as nice as I can manage to be.

Jayne, I think Iolanthe was quite justified in making whatever 'parting shots' she decided to make. The myriad sexist insults leveled against her over the past couple years were (and of course still are) appalling. I just wish I had been around this site more and stood up when it mattered, instead of now when everything's been said, done, rehashed and left out to rot. I'm sorry that I wasn't.
What I was trying to say is that when a man comes to the rescue of a woman, and levels the charge of misogyny, it tends to cause an overreaction on the part of those who may be trying to talk some sense into him. Same goes for over sensitivity on the part of women on the subject.

The other hot button issues besides feminism are of course homosexuality in regards to the Church, and the Jews.

I brought those subjects up because I thought Dr. Bombay's post was directed, at least partially, to me. Since my name was brought up in the original post.

So, one more time, for the record; I'm not a misogynist, Jew hater, or even a closet homosexual.

Sorry if that dissapoints your diagnosis, Doctor.

But, I will agree that some of us older guys may be a little impatient with the younger ones. And if I do that, which I'm sure I do at times, I'm sorry. I'm almost 50 now, and honestly, I don't think I really started to acquire any kind of wisdom until about 5 years ago. So I think I know a thing or two about possessing knowledge without the necessary gray hair to make it actually useful.

That's all.
And yes, someone said "such is the way of the internet", very true.

And one more thing, I realize in the above post, that I did not make it 100 percent clear that I don't hate homosexuals either. I just said I was not closeted.

For the record, I don't hate homosexuals. But, some of their tactics in undermining the Church makes my blood boil.
(02-24-2012, 02:53 AM)vakarian Wrote:
(02-20-2012, 10:43 PM)JayneK Wrote: Using a good-bye post to insult and criticize people is not classy.

Neither are backhanded insults. Have you forgotten the "Memories of Vetus" thread already?

These are hardly comparable situations.  Iolanthe used her goodbye post to call out several people by name and generally insult members of this forum.  But we are supposed to say nothing about it because it is her good-bye thread.  Since everybody has to be nice to people who are leaving,  the people that Iolanthe is attacking don't count.

Well that post was very mild compared to how strongly I feel.  That was as nice as I can manage to be.

Jayne, I think Iolanthe was quite justified in making whatever 'parting shots' she decided to make. The myriad sexist insults leveled against her over the past couple years were (and of course still are) appalling. I just wish I had been around this site more and stood up when it mattered, instead of now when everything's been said, done, rehashed and left out to rot. I'm sorry that I wasn't.

I've been trying to come up with a response to this that is compatible with my Lenten resolution of giving up arguing.  This is what I've thought of:
I've read your post.  Smile
Good one, Jayne.
(02-24-2012, 01:37 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(02-24-2012, 02:53 AM)vakarian Wrote:

I've been trying to come up with a response to this that is compatible with my Lenten resolution of giving up arguing.  This is what I've thought of:
I've read your post.   Smile

Indeed you have.