Teaching catechism
Next Wednesday I'm going to commence teaching catechism to a group of 7 and 8 year olds in a public school (the kids are all Catholic). I've just returned from a meeting with the head catechist and she has given me a bunch of books with lesson plans. The bad news is that they're terrible, the good news is that she said they're just a rough guide and I'm free to supplement it with my own stuff. The first lesson is "God made me and I am special". The text book suggests getting them to write their names on pieces of paper and decorate them with glitter, then talk about their favourite food and why they like it (lol). Needless to say I'm not going to do that.

I was thinking of telling them they're special because they're loved by God, then asking them to think of someone they love and how they share their life with that person. After getting the responses (going to their house, talking to them, doing stuff for them, etc) I thought I could make a comparison that that's how we show our love for God. By going to God's house, prayer, the sacraments, etc. I'm also going to try and get some cheap holy cards of the Sacred Heart and give them out with a candy attached to them. Does anyone here have any experience with catechism? If so do you have any advice? Also if anyone on fisheaters has ideas for lessons or activities I could do with these kids that will impart solid doctrine to them without going over their heads please share them. I would really appreciate hearing your ideas.

Go by the book.

I recommend the Baltimore Catechism, starting with the appropriate number.
(02-20-2012, 10:51 PM)su Wrote: Go by the book.

They won't let me do this. I have to at least humour them and pretend my lessons are based on the diocesan text book.

That is exactly what I thought when I read your post.  As I recall, the #1 is for that age group.  Anyhow, it is a model of what a catechism should be.  Even if you can't use it directly, knowing what is in it will help you.
(02-20-2012, 10:56 PM)Aragon Wrote:

They won't let me do this. I have to at least humour them and pretend my lessons are based on the diocesan text book.

If the text book is questionable, tell them you won't be in accessory in improper education of the children. Focusing on the person, and not God, is very improper. We are to find God, to know, to serve, and love God, not to find ourselves.

Or you could use the content of the Baltimore and teach orally and make some written lesson plan to hand in.
(02-20-2012, 11:08 PM)su Wrote:
(02-20-2012, 10:56 PM)Aragon Wrote:

If the text book is questionable, tell them you won't be in accessory in improper education of the children. Focusing on the person, and not God, is very improper. We are to find God, to know, to serve, and love God, not to find ourselves.

Or you could use the content of the Baltimore and teach orally and make some written lesson plan to hand in.

Sounds based on the Catechism to me (Aragon’s idea, not the names with glitter):

Baltimore Catechism Wrote:1. Who made us?
God made us.

4. What must we do to gain the happiness of heaven?
To gain the happiness of heaven we must know, love, and serve God in this world.

Aragon’s ideas directly relate to #1 and #4 of the first section, IMO. Although, I really don’t think it would be a huge problem to slip the whole section into the lesson but still adhering to some kind of activity, especially if they told you you could use your own plan sorta-ish.
What's the drinking age in Australia? 
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
I think your first lesson is great. I have seen the effect of people who think of God as an absentee Father. They resent and hate Him for it, blaming Him for everything. Really understanding that God loves you and thinks you are the greatest, is the best foundation for any childs self esteem. It motivates you to do great things for Him.

Great idea! I hope it goes well.
Good luck and I hope all goes well with your instruction. It's not easy trying to catechize others, and quite a responsibility, especially with children. I pray that God the Holy Ghost inspire and be with you.
Also, I don't know who is creating the lessons, but 7-8 year olds are too old for glitter in my experience. They think it's too kiddy. Treating them as older will appeal to them: try the catechism questions.