Teaching catechism
(02-20-2012, 11:22 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: What's the drinking age in Australia? 

the drinking age is 16 but you have to be with someone that's 18 or older
(02-21-2012, 01:55 AM)alegare21 Wrote:

So I guess he can't take them out drinking instead, then.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(02-21-2012, 01:57 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

If only you knew the kind of alcoholic catechesis that goes on at our parish... lol
(02-21-2012, 04:36 AM)Raskolnikov Wrote:
(02-21-2012, 01:57 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

If only you knew the kind of alcoholic catechesis that goes on at our parish... lol

If Father Doran wants to know why all the SSPX kids end up at the diocesan Mass then we should tell him the honest truth: beer.
Okay, so I decided to completely ditch the work sheet provided and create my own for the children. The two points I have to convey to them in this lesson is that they're made by God and that they're special. This is the best I could do to make the lesson doctrinally solid without overwhelming them.

Quote:
God made me to know, love, and serve Him…

When I love someone I share my life with them. I can share my life with God by…

[Image: 10+-+At+the+Sanctus.jpg]

Going to Holy Mass

by.....
[Image: news-graphics-2007-_635952a.jpg]

helping others...

and by...
[Image: family%20reading%20the%20Bible.jpg]

Reading about Jesus and the saints

I will share my life with God this week by...

Circle one thing you will do for God this week:

Reading about Jesus
Going to Mass with my family on Sunday
Saying a prayer before bed
Saying a prayer when I wake up
Helping Mum and Dad around the house
Visiting a Church to light a special candle
Being nice to my brother or sister

Something else………………………………………………….

I am special because God made me in His image….
God made me to know, love, and serve Him.

What do you guys think? I'm trying to walk the fine line between giving them something decent and not pissing off the liberal catechist (hence the "I am special" stuff).
(02-21-2012, 06:32 AM)Aragon Wrote: Okay, so I decided to completely ditch the work sheet provided and create my own for the children. The two points I have to convey to them in this lesson is that they're made by God and that they're special. This is the best I could do to make the lesson doctrinally solid without overwhelming them.

Sounds good to me - certainly a whole lot better than the glitter bs

I never taught catechism but I suggest starting out each class with the Memorare, you know,  "Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help ......."  - that was what we started class with and I've loved that prayer ever since I was about 9 when we'd all stand to recite it.

You can expand on why each one of them individually are special to God - and Our Blessed Mother (IMO, children are often more eager to talk about mothers for some reason lol)

How long is the class - an hour? I bet you'll have a blast!
(02-21-2012, 07:30 AM)Stubborn Wrote:
(02-21-2012, 06:32 AM)Aragon Wrote: Okay, so I decided to completely ditch the work sheet provided and create my own for the children. The two points I have to convey to them in this lesson is that they're made by God and that they're special. This is the best I could do to make the lesson doctrinally solid without overwhelming them.

Sounds good to me - certainly a whole lot better than the glitter bs

I never taught catechism but I suggest starting out each class with the Memorare, you know,  "Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help ......."  - that was what we started class with and I've loved that prayer ever since I was about 9 when we'd all stand to recite it.

You can expand on why each one of them individually are special to God - and Our Blessed Mother (IMO, children are often more eager to talk about mothers for some reason lol)

How long is the class - an hour? I bet you'll have a blast!

I wish it lasted an hour. It's 25 minutes once a week and, to make matters worse, most of the kids are split up between commitments at that time so the majority of them I'll only see for 25 minutes every fortnight. A few I'll have every week.

It's not much - but hopefully I can do a better job with that then what they would receive otherwise.
(02-21-2012, 07:42 AM)Aragon Wrote: I wish it lasted an hour. It's 25 minutes once a week and, to make matters worse, most of the kids are split up between commitments at that time so the majority of them I'll only see for 25 minutes every fortnight. A few I'll have every week.

It's not much - but hopefully I can do a better job with that then what they would receive otherwise.

25 minutes? That is disappointing! Sounds like they made a science out of limiting it right to the edge of being a waste of time. Stupid NO!

Yes, surely you'll make the most of it. Let us know how it went!

You're making a great effort, I love it.

One suggestion: Mass on Sundays is not optional, so I would rephrase to something like "besides going to Mass on Sunday, something extra I'll do" (circle one).
(02-21-2012, 11:00 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: You're making a great effort, I love it.

One suggestion: Mass on Sundays is not optional, so I would rephrase to something like "besides going to Mass on Sunday, something extra I'll do" (circle one).

Yes.  Good.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.