Forum Owner: Please delete my account

Step 1: Learn the FactsRealities, Not Trust, Should Influence Your Decisions Regarding Children
"We live in a beautiful, safe neighborhood. None of these children could be victims of sexual abuse, right?"

IT IS HIGHLY likely that you know a child who has been or is being abused.
Experts estimate that 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before their 18th birthdays. This means that in any classroom or neighborhood full of children, there are children who are silently bearing the burden of sexual abuse.
1 in 5 children are sexually solicited while on the Internet.
nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
The median age for reported sexual abuse is 9 years old.
Approximately 20% of the victims of sexual abuse are under age eight.
50% of all victims of forcible sodomy, sexual assault with an object, and forcible fondling are under age twelve.
Most child victims never report the abuse.
Sexually abused children who keep it a secret or who "tell" and are not believed are at greater risk than the general population for psychological, emotional, social, and physical problems, often lasting into adulthood. It is also likely that you know an abuser. The greatest risk to children doesn't come from strangers but from friends and family.
30-40% of children are abused by family members.
As many as 60% are abused by people the family trusts- abusers frequently try to form a trusting relationship with parents.
Nearly 40% are abused by older or larger children.
People who abuse children look and act just like every one else. In fact, they often go out of their way to appear trustworthy to gain access to children.
Those who sexually abuse children are drawn to settings where they can gain easy access to children, such as sports leagues, faith centers, clubs, and schools.

http://www.d2l.org/site/c.4dICIJOkGcISE/..._Abuse.htm
http://www.d2l.org/site/c.4dICIJOkGcISE/...istics.htm
You are framing this as if anyone who questions you or shows skepticism is a monster who favours sexual abuse of children.  I have a daughter who was sexually abused.  You can't tell me anything about how horrific it is.  I already know.  That does not mean we should start blindly accepting anything anyone says on the subject.
Ugh. I don't know where this is stemming from (in other words what's going on between the posters) but I remember last time I got involved in this topic. It's a terrifyingly hidden/denied topic. Everyone knows how deeply sexually perverted our society is but somehow too many believe it stops or slows down when it comes to children. I suppose that's the comforting stance to take, it's hard to live with the truth. If it's hard to believe from stats of victims, just look at sheer numbers in the National Sex Offender Registry. http://www.familywatchdog.us/default.asp  This is only those who are caught and registered! Granted they are all types of sex offenders, not just regarding children, but it's still an awful eye-opener.

ETA: I speak of it being hidden/denied but I realize many simply aren't exposed to it and that's not a culpable "denial".
(02-21-2012, 10:44 PM)wallflower Wrote: Ugh. I don't know where this is stemming from (in other words what's going on between the posters) but I remember last time I got involved in this topic. It's a terrifyingly hidden/denied topic. Everyone knows how deeply sexually perverted our society is but somehow too many believe it stops or slows down when it comes to children. I suppose that's the comforting stance to take, it's hard to live with the truth. If it's hard to believe from stats of victims, just look at sheer numbers in the National Sex Offender Registry. http://www.familywatchdog.us/default.asp  This is only those who are caught and registered! Granted they are all types of sex offenders, not just regarding children, but it's still an awful eye-opener.

You are absolutely right.
I'm not sure how one can claim that sexual abuse is a hidden topic. It's all over the media.
(02-21-2012, 09:55 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(02-21-2012, 09:36 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote:
(02-21-2012, 09:35 PM)verenaerin Wrote:
(02-21-2012, 09:29 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: I hope I am not the cause of you leaving this forum.

I did not mean any offense to you in disagreeing or not believing in what you said.

I responded to you in the other thread. I just want you to consider this. those on trad forums, are typically not modernists. This poster has done research in sexual abuse. Can you imagine that job? Can you imagine reading reports about 5 year olds being raped by neighbors, or my report years ago I had to write about a 2 year old sodomized by his 15 year old brother, or teenagers in abusive relationships, and then have someone come out and dismiss your work as being untrue just because? All I am saying is try not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

No, I cannot imagine any of those reports. Perhaps I handled this in the wrong way.

You did not do anything wrong.  Don't let people guilt you.

...this?

Honestly, two or three people responded to you.  Based on your reaction, I went to that thread expecting to be appalled at the responses in denial of obvious facts.  Didn't happen.  They seemed like legitimate points.
(02-21-2012, 10:44 PM)wallflower Wrote: Ugh. I don't know where this is stemming from (in other words what's going on between the posters) but I remember last time I got involved in this topic. It's a terrifyingly hidden/denied topic. Everyone knows how deeply sexually perverted our society is but somehow too many believe it stops or slows down when it comes to children. I suppose that's the comforting stance to take, it's hard to live with the truth. If it's hard to believe from stats of victims, just look at sheer numbers in the National Sex Offender Registry. http://www.familywatchdog.us/default.asp  This is only those who are caught and registered! Granted they are all types of sex offenders, not just regarding children, but it's still an awful eye-opener.

ETA: I speak of it being hidden/denied but I realize many simply aren't exposed to it and that's not a culpable "denial".

There was no denial, culpable or otherwise.  Josie listed a bunch of stats, some of which did not even pertain to sexual abuse of children.  I expressed skepticism about statistics and their misuse.  Crusader Philly questioned how high the numbers seemed.  Rather than addressing the points made, Josie went into rhetoric mode and made an "I'm leaving because people deny sexual abuse" thread.
(02-21-2012, 10:57 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: I'm not sure how one can claim that sexual abuse is a hidden topic. It's all over the media.

It makes the media when priests or celebrities are involved.  It is somewhat hidden that people other than priests commit sexual abuse of children.
I don't know. Look at the popularity of a TV show like Law and Order: SVU. The whole thing revolves around sexual abuse.
(02-21-2012, 11:42 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: I don't know. Look at the popularity of a TV show like Law and Order: SVU. The whole thing revolves around sexual abuse.

I guess you've got a point there.  I've never seen it.  Just the idea of that show creeps me out.