Why was the Mass changed?
Greetings,

This is a very simple question. Why was the Mass changed after Vatican II to the Mass of Paul VI?

Blessings,

TT.
It'd be more accurate to ask why an entirely new Mass was created after VII. And the answer to that lies in Vatican 2 itself, in the Council's commitment to ecumenism. The Mass of All Time is highly UN-ecumenical (praise God), so one that was nonthreatening to protestants was needed.
(02-28-2012, 01:58 AM)Northstar Wrote: It'd be more accurate to ask why an entirely new Mass was created after VII. And the answer to that lies in Vatican 2 itself, in the Council's commitment to ecumenism. The Mass of All Time is highly UN-ecumenical (praise God), so one that was nonthreatening to protestants was needed.

I wish I could disagree, but I'm afraid I cannot. Well said, sir.
Because the Catholic Mass was incompatible with the new humanist religion ratified at the Second Vatican Council.

There is a really good playlist that I think will go far in answering your question: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL98A318AE6466893D
(02-28-2012, 03:23 AM)charlesh Wrote: Because the Catholic Mass was incompatible with the new humanist religion ratified at the Second Vatican Council.

There is a really good playlist that I think will go far in answering your question: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL98A318AE6466893D

Another good answer.

Thank you for linking the playlist, by the way. I will have to take a look at it when I am at a console that permits me to open the link.
Thanks for the link, Charles.
I would say, to please the Protestants.

I remember the first time I went to a protestant service, my Grandad's funeral (since my Mum was a convert).

I was absolutely stunned how similar it was to the New Mass.

My Mum had always hated going to the new Mass.  Now I finally understood why.  She converted in the 50s when the Roman Catholics had the Tridentine Mass.  Effectively the new Mass meant she was being forced to go back.

The only difference I recall was the musty smell of damp plaster.  In Catholic churches the incense tends to pervade through the Church so there is always a residual smell.  In protestant churches they just smell damp, and decaying.  If you don't believe me then whenever you visit London try visiting St Paul's or Westminster Abbey (protestant) and compare that to Westminster Cathedral (Roman Catholic).
Why was the Mass changed?

Well, to name only a few reasons - and in no particular order....................

To destroy tradition, empty out seminaries, convents and churches.
To usher in new sacraments, new rules, new teachings, new canon law, new theology and false ecumenism.
To bring evil upon the clergy, faithful, family and society.
To offend God.
To destroy virtue.
To encourage vice.
To spiritually starve and scandalize the knowing as well as the unknowing.
To mock the Sacrifice of Calvary.

Feel free to add to this list.

(02-28-2012, 07:33 AM)Stubborn Wrote: Why was the Mass changed?

Well, to name only a few reasons - and in no particular order....................

To destroy tradition, empty out seminaries, convents and churches.
To usher in new sacraments, new rules, new teachings, new canon law, new theology and false ecumenism.
To bring evil upon the clergy, faithful, family and society.
To offend God.
To destroy virtue.
To encourage vice.
To spiritually starve and scandalize the knowing as well as the unknowing.
To mock the Sacrifice of Calvary.

Feel free to add to this list.

To lead people in no longer believing in the Real Presence
To allow the Devil settling himself in the Church when the prayers to St Michael were abolished by Paul VI.
To distress my Mum.    :(

Perhaps I shouldn't make a joke of it but the only other answer I can think of is "because they were evil bastards!".

Funny thing is though the person responsible did not even get the title "attorney general for wales" all he got was "Papal Nuncio for Iran".