Catherine Anne Emmerich
I heard some people on another forum taking about her "Life of Jesus Christ". I checked out the reviews on Amazon and most were enthusiastic. However one said that it contradicted his Douay-Rheims.
Is anyone here familiar with this? Is this a book to read or avoid?
More info please. Wherein lay the contradiction?
I am reading her two volume life story. Amazing stuff so far
I would read her stuff. It is quite wonderful. Keep in mind that it is private revelation, so there could be errors, which she herself admits in her visions. In addition, her visions were penned by another person, so there could have been mistakes in that process either in transcription or understanding her Westphalian dialect. Apparently some people don't understand private revelation. It is pious reading to build us up in our faith. It isn't mean to define anything new about our Faith, or even aid us in historical research.
(03-14-2012, 10:43 AM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: More info please. Wherein lay the contradiction?
I am reading her two volume life story. Amazing stuff so far
The reviewer had a problem with the number of people present on the Ark.
The books were written by Clemens von Brentano, a well known German novelist of the romantic period, who gave up his normal life to live near her and write down her visions.
Her beatification process was stopped in 1928 because of problematic content in the books.
For her beatification (or newbeatification as Bishop Williamson would say) by Pope John Paul II, it was decided to assume that the books contained personal interpretations by von Brentano and were therefore ignored for the process.
Her works are not the Bible and do not claim to be the Bible.

She herself was not attached to her visions.

They can be an excellent aid to piety.

Therefore it depends on what you are looking for in them. A Bible? Forget it. Visions from a Saint? Definitely. Factual information on the exact number of people that actually were in the Ark? Nah.