Chat Room Link and Other Stuff
It was suggested to me that I put a link to the chat room some place on the site other than just the forum so when the forum goes down for maintenance (or because we got hacked or something), people can still chat. Good idea, I say! So I put a link on the "entry page" to the forum (when you go to the front page and click on the link at the upper left that takes you to the forum, you go to an "entry page" first), The direct URL for that page is here:  http://www.fisheaters.com/abouttheforum.html

Speaking of which, the chat room expires on April 15 and will cost $125 to renew. I'm hoping that the people who use it will chip in 'cause I'm pretty damned broke. As in realllllllly broke. In addition to this upcoming expense, monthly maintenance is always an issue, and is a bigger issue now than it had been for a while because I've had a few subscriptions cancelled.

So subscribe and/or donate, if you can! See the pinned thread -- "For Newbies and Wannabes" -- in this sub-forum to learn how to subscribe. To donate, use PayPal here:  http://www.fisheaters.com/donations/donate.html, or send checks made out to me, Tracy Tucciarone, to this address:
[html]
Quote: Tracy
736 North Bosart Avenue
Indianapolis, IN  46201-2955
[/html]

Other ways to help this site are:
  • to buy things from Amazon via the forum's Amazon search box at the bottom of every forum page*;

• to buy things from the FE CafePress Store:  http://www.cafepress.com/fisheaters

• to buy Mystic Monk Coffee! It's really good, rich coffee, I understand! And it not only helps me (they pay their affiliates very well), but it helps the Carmelites!; and

• to visit the site's sponsors. Google AdSense pays by clicks -- but this CANNOT be abused or I'd get in trouble and lose the ability to use Google ads. Google is SMART, folks!  Please, only click on a Google Ad if you are interested in what the sponsor is selling!

Thanks!

* If you want to go hard-core in helping this site out, FE will make even more money if you get the ASIN number of whatever it is you're wanting to buy,  copy-pasting it to replace the two red  Xs in this URL --

-- and then putting the resulting URL in your browser and buying it from there.

So if I buy an Amazon Kindle book and go through the hoops on the site, we get a cut?
Pretty sure that FE would get a cut from anything sold at Amazon -- everything from books to furniture to underwear to food. I so hope people who shop at Amazon will use the search box (or, better, that URL in the top post). It'd really help!
How often do you have to pay this fee?  Surely there are free alternatives.
How do you get the ASIN number?  I ocaasionally buy something from Amazon.
(03-18-2012, 12:34 PM)cgraye Wrote: How often do you have to pay this fee?  Surely there are free alternatives.

Once a year.
(03-18-2012, 03:10 PM)OmniaInstaurareInChristo Wrote: How do you get the ASIN number?  I ocaasionally buy something from Amazon.

If you go to the product page for whatever you're wanting to buy on Amazon's site, scroll down a bit and you'll see something like this:
[html]
Quote:Product Details

Reading level: Ages 18 and up
Paperback: 464 pages
Publisher: Penguin Classics; Revised edition (March 28, 2006)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0143039431
ISBN-13: 978-0143039433
Product Dimensions: 7.7 x 5.1 x 1 inches
Shipping Weight: 10.4 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
Average Customer Review: 4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (706 customer reviews)
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,175 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#53 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics
[/html]

It's the ASIN or ISBN number you want, whichver applies :)
Thank you, Vox.  Next time I order from Amazon, I will be sure to do it that way.
Awesomeness! Thank you!  Failing that, purchasing via the Amazon search box helps, too :)
Assuming the worst and that the chat room doesn't get renewed, there are (I believe) some free options out there.  For instance, an IRC could be set up that doesn't cost anything.  Yes, it's not as pretty, but it's perfectly functional for chat.  In the case of this site, I think that it'd be better that donations go to supporting the site itself rather than the chat room (which relatively few people use) so if money could be saved with a slight downgrade, it would be a good decision.  We don't want a chat room and no forum!  So if I were to donate, I'd prefer that the money goes to supporting the site FIRST.