A Protestant on Reddit gets it right!
So, over at Reddit.com, in the subreddit /r/Catholicism there is a post asking Catholics why they are Catholic, and why they chose Catholicism over the rest of Christianity.

One Protestant fellow had this to say
Quote:For the record, I'm still mainline Protestant on the books and in 5 centuries of family history. However, I'm attending Catholic services, and not just regular ones, but Tridentine rite, all Latin all the time services with Gregorian chants for most of the music. That's some Church with a capital C, or really a capital E since it's Latin.
(1) Liturgy cannot be overemphasized. Many Protestant seminaries are emphasizing the value of formal structure to Church service much more now than even a decade ago. They're right, but the Roman Catholic Church, or as yall lke to call yourselves, 'The Church', is the point of reference for this, so why reinvent the wheel. Also, my minister in my youth did as structured and 'catholic' a service as he could get away with in my Protestant denomintation.
(2) Art and Culture in worship - The Catholics win in this arena, even after being hollowed out by baby boomers. I know some Catholic congregations who have given up traditional iconography and music for tambourines and guitars, and good for you if it works for you. My specific congregation is very rigorous and old-school. That keeps me coming back.
(3)Many 'progressive' denominations are too permissive for my taste and have let the 'if it feels good, do it' thing creep in. Catholicism seems better suited to hold the line on moral issues.
(3.1) Even the Catholic popes who were cartoonishly bad never touched dogma. Some Borgia pope or other may sleep around all he likes, but never tried to make the case that it's ok to fool around if you really love each other, or all you need is love, or marriage is just a piece of paper, or whatever other nonsense we clever modern people have come up with. I may fool around, one way or another, whenever I get the chance, but I'm not so arrogant as to tell Holy Mother Church to bend to my will.
(4) With a few fits and starts, the Catholic Church is more science-friendly than the Evangelicals or most nonchristian religious traditions.
(5) Even where I disagree, or you've taken some valid ideas too far, Catholic clergy give you a straight answer, eg test tube babies, contraception, The Lord's Supper / Eucharist. Ask 20 Protestant ministers or parishioners about this stuff and you get 20 answers or lots of weak hemming and hawing.
tl;dr - good music when you actually use it, history, culture, a straight answer on questions of faith/ethics, and science friendly

I don't know why a Protestant can get it, but people who claim to be Catholic can't!  :LOL:
This guy is still a Protestant?

He certainly doesn't sound like one.
A protestant that enjoys going to a Tridentine Mass is a bit of a contradiction.
(03-18-2012, 08:05 PM)ZekarjaSG Wrote: A protestant that enjoys going to a Tridentine Mass is a bit of a contradiction.

Nah. A Protestant going to a Tridentine Mass is a person in search of the truth. If this man isn't already taking steps to enter the Church, I'll bet he's strongly considering it. I was this guy for a year and a half until taking the dive.
(03-18-2012, 08:14 PM)jen51 Wrote:
(03-18-2012, 08:05 PM)ZekarjaSG Wrote: A protestant that enjoys going to a Tridentine Mass is a bit of a contradiction.

Nah. A Protestant going to a Tridentine Mass is a person in search of the truth. If this man isn't already taking steps to enter the Church, I'll bet he's strongly considering it. I was this guy for a year and a half until taking the dive.

But when you're in this phase, you can no longer be considered a true Protestant anyway.

Any self-respecting Protestant can never attend a liturgy which is a propitiatory sacrifice for sin.
(03-18-2012, 08:15 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(03-18-2012, 08:14 PM)jen51 Wrote:

But when you're in this phase, you can no longer be considered a true Protestant anyway.

Any self-respecting Protestant can never attend a liturgy which is a propitiatory sacrifice for sin.

Yeh, you are right. Holy Mass and a Protestant church service are infinately different. I was actually thinking about that today in Mass as the Host was being elevated. I can think of several of my Protestant friends who would take major offense if they understood what was going on at Mass. But I have often observed that those "self-respecting" protestants often times make some very respectable Catholics after their conversion.
(03-18-2012, 08:15 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Any self-respecting Protestant can never attend a liturgy which is a propitiatory sacrifice for sin.

Mainline Protestants aren't really Protestants in the traditional sense, and have not been for years.  In the early 20th Century, Msgr. Robert Hugh Benson said that early Protestants believed in justification by faith alone, and modern ones believed in justification by works alone.
(03-18-2012, 10:20 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote:
(03-18-2012, 08:15 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Any self-respecting Protestant can never attend a liturgy which is a propitiatory sacrifice for sin.

Mainline Protestants aren't really Protestants in the traditional sense, and have not been for years.  In the early 20th Century, Msgr. Robert Hugh Benson said that early Protestants believed in justification by faith alone, and modern ones believed in justification by works alone.

An insightful comment, I must say.

Mainline Protestantism has been completely ravaged by liberalism and all its fruits.
(03-18-2012, 08:28 PM)jen51 Wrote: Yeh, you are right. Holy Mass and a Protestant church service are infinately different. I was actually thinking about that today in Mass as the Host was being elevated. I can think of several of my Protestant friends who would take major offense if they understood what was going on at Mass. But I have often observed that those "self-respecting" protestants often times make some very respectable Catholics after their conversion.

There was an incident a few years ago at a NO Church in Alabama where some over-zealous Protestants attended a Mass and stormed the altar during the consecration, shouting "Blasphemy!" and trying to turn the altar over.  Something to be said for that level of zeal, though unfortunately misdirected.  Sadly they are more aware of the Tridentine teaching on the propitiatory nature of the Mass than many Catholics.
(03-18-2012, 07:42 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: This guy is still a Protestant?

He certainly doesn't sound like one.

It sounds like he's taking the first steps toward conversion. I've read lots of testimonies like this, where they attend Mass without receiving for a time before deciding. We should pray for him.