confession within 8 days, or 20 (for plenary indulgence with prescribed work)?
Sources seem to vary on the days between confessions during which receiving Communion, a plenary indulgence can be gained (by also doing one of the prescribed works). I've seen within 8 days (before or after), which means, if you confess every 2 weeks, you can gain a plenary indulgence at every Mass during that period. But I've also seen within 20 days, which means, if you go once a month. The priests I've asked have all confirmed my original teaching of 8 days, and I'm happy with that. I wonder though why I see so few Catholics going to confession this regularly. Maybe they go privately, or elsewhere. I'm just wondering. Thank you for indulging me!
That's certainly encouraging. I am fortunate enough to attend TLM 2-5 times per week(depending on week) and Confession every 7-10 days. I really don't think of indulgences, but I try to focus on doing the right thing: Charity. Good post.
I've never heard of the 20 day time frame, only the 8 day. Just confess every two weeks at a minimum and you're ok, eh?
(03-20-2012, 04:16 PM)Heinrich Wrote: That's certainly encouraging. I am fortunate enough to attend TLM 2-5 times per week(depending on week) and Confession every 7-10 days. I really don't think of indulgences, but I try to focus on doing the right thing: Charity. Good post.

I try to encourage people to gain indulgences. There are prescribed works to do (charitable works) i.e. pray the rosary with people in the church, make the stations of the cross, read scripture for a half-hour, etc. These are all very good works, and the benefit is, of course, all your temporal punishment removed, if it's done right. I know there are always more things people are encouraging you to do (if you're around good people, that is), and I hate to add to what might already be a long list of things you've been encouraged to do  :crazy: but still, I do encourage you!

:chleader:
To obtain a Plenary Indulgence don't you have to be free of attachment to venial sin? If that is true sadly I have more than likely never obtained one. Who can say with a straight face that they are free of attachments to venial sins short of those already close to the highest sanctity?
(03-20-2012, 05:35 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: To obtain a Plenary Indulgence don't you have to be free of attachment to venial sin? If that is true sadly I have more than likely never obtained one. Who can say with a straight face that they are free of attachments to venial sins short of those already close to the highest sanctity?

That's true. But it's worth a try.
You are right, it is worth a try. I suppose all of us might have moments where we really are free of attachment to venial sin (right after a good confession etc..) where the good Lord allows us to obtain that Plenary Indulgence. He can use that small moment of time to grant it to us. At least that's a thought...
The Church wouldn't ask this of us if it was absolutely impossible. And of course, the worst that can happen is you 'only' gain a partial indulgence. There's no way you can fail.

I sometimes hesitate to do things that are beneficial to me because I feel like it's just multiplying my selfishness. But this is God's will - that we go to Him in Heaven. He gives us all this help. It's a good exercize to do it and then see what one's objections are. I have objections to almost every good work, and that's another benefit of doing them. I get to see these objections, and they really humble me. These humiliations make me laugh sometimes, and that's ok too!
(03-20-2012, 06:11 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: The Church wouldn't ask this of us if it was absolutely impossible. And of course, the worst that can happen is you 'only' gain a partial indulgence. There's no way you can fail.

This!
I like this thread. Here's my bump.