An introduction and a question
Hi all,

I am a new member and I wanted to say hi and briefly introduce myself.  (with the emphasis on "Briefly")  I grew up Mormon, but never was convinced of the validity of the doctrine (was excommunicated at my request).  I became an Evangelical Christian at 18 (Southern Baptist and later with a "Charismatic" twist).  Took my Christianity seriously and decided that I was "called" into full time ministry and went to bible college.  This is a much shortened version, but I became very disillusioned with "ministry" in general and totally confused regarding doctrine and other matters.  While a disillusioned bible college student, a friend of mine who had converted FROM the Catholic church  invited me to go to midnight mass one Christmas Eve.  It was my very first time in a Catholic Church and it blew me away.  Very, Very different from doing the Charismatic jig in the bible college I was attending.  I was never the same after that.  It would be however, another 6 years or so until I would actually become Roman Catholic.  (that is a story in itself)

I wish I could say everything was great from that point on...but not so much.  You see there were two problems:  1.  I was baptized at what I have come to realize is a pretty liberal catholic church (which contributed to problem 2) and 2. My doctrine--in many, many areas remained protestant.  I though it was perfectly fine to disagree with the Church on any given doctrine that didn't line up with my Protestant mind.  I literally spent the next 25 years in this mode.  Knowing what to do at a mass--and loving the Catholic Church--but that is it.  For the most part I didn't know any doctrine, history, reasons for doing things...you name it.  I remember the deacon at the church I was baptized telling me that some of the things the catholic church does are man made laws and some of them are simply done away with (he used eating fish on Fridays as an example).  Well since the Catholic Church is so changeable and things are just man made, I could pretty much pick and choose!  I was stuck in this very weird place. Catholic in name only, protestant in my thinking and afloat spiritually and stopped attending mass for quite some time.

Last November, I actually sat down and read the Church's Catechism for the first time.  It blew me away.  I then found the Baltimore Catechism from the 1920s and that blew me a way even more...This really opened my eyes and really is what started me into a real journey into the Church.  I could go on in great detail regarding this, but I will spare you.

Now determined to find a real catholic church that taught what it believed, I went to the closest church from my house.  The only problem was I felt like I was in a school auditorium or something.  The place didn't look like a church and after attending mass there, I realized that if I stayed there I would end up pretty much like I had been...not really seeing or hearing everything that the Catholic Church is.  I ended up finding a wonderful church that not only looks like a catholic church, but teaches the doctrine.  (It is amazing though, the church tends on the conservative side, but the congregation runs the gambit. Some come dressed in suits, others are ready to play rugby...a lady in front of me became obviously agitated last Sunday, when the Priest talked about the church's pro-life stance).

Slowly I began to realize that there may be only one Church, but many....I struggle to find the right word for this....view points that are expressed via different churches.  Not suppose to be this way, but it defacto is.  Gradually I became aware of traditional Catholicism and wish to God I could go back to time before Vatican II.  I am presently reading the book "Resurrecting the Catholic Church" and reading all I can get my hands on from various view points.  I must say, for me, if I am going to be Catholic, I must in some fashion remain faithful to Rome.  I am figuring out how to do that, and still practice REAL Catholicism. ??? I know it is a difficult issue for a lot of people

There is a lot more to this story, but I think I have gone on too long as it is!  My questions is this:  I have NEVER been to a Latin Mass.  My Church offers one on Sunday nights and I want to go and see for myself.  Obviously I don't know Latin--despite my user name--and I am not sure how to prepare.  From what I have read it is very different from a NO mass.  Should I just sit in the back and go with the flow?  Or is it best to get a missal in Latin?  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am confused about something.  If so many people disagree with the Church's teaching (and I am talking major doctrines here) why don't they just leave?
First, welcome to the forum.  To answer you question, I can only say what I did when I first attended the TLM.   I just sat (or stood, or knelt, or whatever everyone else was doing) and watched.   I don't think I could have followed a missal at that point if I tried.   Seemed to work for me!  I did move on to using a missal later on.

And your second question...

Quote:If so many people disagree with the Church's teaching (and I am talking major doctrines here) why don't they just leave?

I don't have the answer, but I do wonder the same thing!

Welcome!  :hello!:
(03-22-2012, 04:26 PM)Sequitur Veritas Wrote: Also, I am confused about something.  If so many people disagree with the Church's teaching (and I am talking major doctrines here) why don't they just leave?

Welcome.  In answer to your question, some people would just rather impose their will rather than find greener pastures.
Hello and welcome!  :hello!:

Quote:Should I just sit in the back and go with the flow?

At first, yes, I would recommend this.

Quote:Or is it best to get a missal in Latin?

They are helpful and you'll definitely want to get one eventually. Most TLM's offer l red Missal booklets to help follow along the Mass; I would suggest having a look at this prior to Mass starting and prepared to get lost at first. The more you go, however, the easier it will be.
(03-22-2012, 09:18 PM)Spooky Wrote:
Quote:Or is it best to get a missal in Latin?

They are helpful and you'll definitely want to get one eventually. Most TLM's offer l red Missal booklets to help follow along the Mass; I would suggest having a look at this prior to Mass starting and prepared to get lost at first. The more you go, however, the easier it will be.

THAT.

Also, in case you'd like to check out the mass for any given day ahead of time:  http://divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/missa/missa.pl
(03-22-2012, 04:26 PM)Sequitur Veritas Wrote: There is a lot more to this story, but I think I have gone on too long as it is!  My questions is this:  I have NEVER been to a Latin Mass.  My Church offers one on Sunday nights and I want to go and see for myself.  Obviously I don't know Latin--despite my user name--and I am not sure how to prepare.  From what I have read it is very different from a NO mass.  Should I just sit in the back and go with the flow?  Or is it best to get a missal in Latin?  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Fish Eaters.  I could relate to a lot of your story.  I too went to an Evangelical Bible college, became Catholic at a liberal parish, and discovered traditional Catholicism after many years as a Catholic.

I did not have a Missal at my first TLM and I think this was better for me.  I was able to better experience the silence and reverence without the distraction of trying to follow words.  Something I did when still new to the TLM was to learn about it at the Sanct Missa site :http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/tutorial/.  There are a lot of pictures, videos, the text of the Mass and explanations there.
Hi there! Former Mormon here too!  Welcome to FE, you'll like it here.

Welcome to the tank!  For help in knowing what to do at Mass, to know what's going on, etc., see this page -- the links in the section "The Sacrifice of the Mass":  http://www.fisheaters.com/beingcatholic.html Hope it helps :)
(03-24-2012, 04:00 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Welcome to the tank!  For help in knowing what to do at Mass, to know what's going on, etc., see this page -- the links in the section "The Sacrifice of the Mass":  http://www.fisheaters.com/beingcatholic.html Hope it helps :)

Vox, I'd never thoroughly read that section of the site before.  I really like it.  The link to The Case for the Latin Mass by Dr. Dietrich von Hildebrand  is broken.