Culture of Death and Chicken on a Styrofoam Tray
(04-03-2012, 10:33 PM)Beware_the_Ides Wrote:
(04-03-2012, 02:24 PM)drummerboy Wrote: small game is fairly easy.  There's the super easy way of skinning squirrels where you make a slit in the middle of their back, and then literally pull the skin off by tearing tugging both ways (works easier for rabbits.)  Or else just find a video on youtube or in a book.  Not hard t'all.

Now that you mention it, I did kill a couple squirrels with a buddy's pellet gun many years ago in his parents yard.  We took them back to his house and he cleaned them and we fried them in a skillet.  While skinning it, the skin tore in half and the back half with the tail, legs and part of the torso was going to be my new beer koozie, but we didn't know how to dry the hide out properly and it became infested with maggots.

Salt. Salt and borax. :)
(03-26-2012, 12:27 AM)alicewyf Wrote: I was a Vegetarian for almost ten years as a teenager.

When you say "almost ten years" I'm assuming you mean 7.  The teen years: 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

:LOL:
Don't forget eleventeen and twelveteen.  lol

This thread is making me hungry.  I bet that wild boar is tasty, eh knittycat.  It is a wild boar, isn't it?  I wouldn't know, we don't have them here in Ontario.
It is indeed wild hog.  I think this particular hog is a female.  I can't remember as we butchered a male and a female that day.  These hogs were likely about 8 to 9 months old.  A mature boar stinks to high heaven.
(04-03-2012, 11:22 PM)knittycat Wrote:
(04-03-2012, 10:33 PM)Beware_the_Ides Wrote:
(04-03-2012, 02:24 PM)drummerboy Wrote: small game is fairly easy.  There's the super easy way of skinning squirrels where you make a slit in the middle of their back, and then literally pull the skin off by tearing tugging both ways (works easier for rabbits.)  Or else just find a video on youtube or in a book.  Not hard t'all.

Now that you mention it, I did kill a couple squirrels with a buddy's pellet gun many years ago in his parents yard.  We took them back to his house and he cleaned them and we fried them in a skillet.  While skinning it, the skin tore in half and the back half with the tail, legs and part of the torso was going to be my new beer koozie, but we didn't know how to dry the hide out properly and it became infested with maggots.

Salt. Salt and borax. :)

Same thing for the tails.  I put a little salt on the bottom of a bread bag and put the cut end of the tail in the salt and let it dry out.
(04-04-2012, 05:44 AM)knittycat Wrote: It is indeed wild hog.  I think this particular hog is a female.  I can't remember as we butchered a male and a female that day.  These hogs were likely about 8 to 9 months old.  A mature boar stinks to high heaven.

That's pretty good.  So with two young wild hogs, a deer or two plus your chickens you probably don't need to buy any meat from one end of the year to the other eh?  And you'd be eating healthier than what you could buy in the grocery stores.
Indeed!  Although I do get pouts from Rex about the lack of beef now and then.  Fortunately there is a butcher local to us that buys local meat.