Knights Templar
Anyone have any good book recommendations for the Knights Templar? I'd like to read about them but I want an unbiased slant...and given the current infatuation with them, it's difficult to find a true historic account without running into conspiracy theories.
Even the historians who write about them are considered a bit wacky. . .  Why not start with the primary documents and draw your own conclusions?
That's the problem... Not sure where the official documents end and the wacky begins.
Random post to change my post count  :LOL:
(03-29-2012, 09:24 AM)damooster Wrote: That's the problem... Not sure where the official documents end and the wacky begins.

The Internet Medieval Sourcebook should have some primary documents.
Here's the rule from ORB, a very reputable site for primary sources etc.  It should get you started.

http://www.the-orb.net/encyclop/religion..._rule.html
Here are some secondary sources. Mind you, they are secular

Quote:Barber, Malcolm. The Trial of the Templars (Cambridge, 1978)
-----. The New Knighthood: A History of the Order of the Temple (1994).
Forey, Alan J. The Templars in the Corona de Aragón (London, 1973) [e-book at LIBRO]
-----. The Military Orders: From the 12th to the Early 14th Century (Toronto, 1992)
-----. The Fall of the Templars in the Crown of Aragon (Aldershot, 2001)
Marcombe, David. Leper Knights: The Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem in England, c. 1150-1544 (Woodbridge, 2003)
Nicholson, Helen. Templars, Hospitallers and Teutonic Knights: Images of the Military Orders 1128-1291 (Leicester, 1993)
-----. The Knights Templar: A New History (Stroud, 2001)
-----. The Knights Hospitallers (Woodbridge, UK, 2001)
Riley-Smith, Jonathan. The Knights of St. John in Jerusalem and Cyprus c. 1050-1310 (London, 1967)
-----. Hospitallers: The History of the Order of St. John (London, 2001)

I didn't edit out the Hospitallers, nor have I read any of these myself.
"The Templars: Knights of Christ" by French historian Regine Pernoud is pretty good.
(03-29-2012, 09:45 AM)tflinn Wrote: "The Templars: Knights of Christ" by French historian Regine Pernoud is pretty good.

Was just going to recommend this one. One of my very favorite historical books - and written by a Catholic Medievalist to boot. Anything Pernoud has written is worth reading :)

I also highly recommend The Real History Behind the Templars by Sharan Newman. Another excellent read that blows away all the stupid myths associated with the Order.

A third recommendation is The Glory of Christendom, 1100-1517 by Warren H. Carroll. Another Catholic historian, another excellent read, another indispensable book I've recommended countless times. There's a lot more than strictly Templar history here, but it's essential to a correct understanding of the Medieval era.
(03-29-2012, 10:48 AM)Varokhâr Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 09:45 AM)tflinn Wrote: "The Templars: Knights of Christ" by French historian Regine Pernoud is pretty good.

Was just going to recommend this one. One of my very favorite historical books - and written by a Catholic Medievalist to boot. Anything Pernoud has written is worth reading :)

I also highly recommend The Real History Behind the Templars by Sharan Newman. Another excellent read that blows away all the stupid myths associated with the Order.

A third recommendation is The Glory of Christendom, 1100-1517 by Warren H. Carroll. Another Catholic historian, another excellent read, another indispensable book I've recommended countless times. There's a lot more than strictly Templar history here, but it's essential to a correct understanding of the Medieval era.

Excellent. Thank you very much!