Wedding Question
(04-03-2012, 05:27 PM)knittycat Wrote: The second reason it makes me go hmmmm is that isn't prostrating yourself a priestly gesture? It seems to be just one more way the laity tries to be the clergy.

No, I had the same thought.  This posture is assumed at ordinations, where it symbolizes the candidates' total giving of their lives to God and the service of his Church.  It may be used for religious as well.  It seems odd at a wedding, since that is exactly what you are NOT doing when you get married.  Yes, you give yourselves collectively to God, as any Christian should, but when you get married, you are also giving yourself to your spouse, and concerning yourself with his or her wants and needs.  St. Paul talks about this very thing.  For this reason, I'm not so sure this posture is good for use at a wedding.
I've only associated this posture with ordinations, maybe the installations of abbots. Based on what I see in the sanctuary, it appears to be NO.
(04-03-2012, 05:27 PM)knittycat Wrote: Eh, I'm leery of this practice.  Especially as this appears to be a NO wedding mass.  It smacks of speshul snowflake syndrome (I am special! Just like a snowflake! There's only one of me!), that they wanted their wedding to 'stand out' and impress people.  The second reason it makes me go hmmmm is that isn't prostrating yourself a priestly gesture? It seems to be just one more way the laity tries to be the clergy.
Or maybe I'm just being a sourpuss.

I hate cookie cutter weddings, but I would agree with you that this couple seems to have done it just because they could.

The Church grants us a relatively large license when it comes to wedding customs and traditions, 1.) because the wedding is also a civil ceremony, 2.) because the groom and bride are the ministers of the sacrament, and 3.) as part of inculturation (especially in missionary countries, or historically in the Early Middle Ages).

There are a lot of wedding customs that you don't see in the average trad wedding that I'd like to see revived, but I wouldn't want to make any up on the spot.

And yes, this is most likely a Novus Ordo wedding.
This is a Novus Ordo wedding. 

Prostration at a wedding makes absolutely no sense; prostration is a gesture made when receiving Holy Orders sybolizing the immolation taken on by the cleric, that he is surrenduring himself for the sake of the salvation of souls.  As Cgraye points out, marrying is the exact opposite. 

This is the hallmark of the Novus Ordo: imagine a snowglobe of everything Church related (good and bad) and then shake it up.  Notice that after aping what a freshly ordained Priest does, this couple goes before a Cranmer table to hear a fabricated, on the spot liturgy constructed by a Freemason and Protestant advisors.  And this all happens in a parish with an ignored high altar.

This is diabolical disorientation.

Notice also that the hyper neo-Catholic couple did not opt for tonsure in order to stand out!
(04-03-2012, 05:34 PM)Richard C Wrote: :LOL:

TheresaW, let's not do this, okay?

:LOL: Agreed! Simple kneeling is good enough for us.
Does anything top the wedding scene in Sound of Music, with Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer kneeling at the altar and a host of nuns singing, "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria"?

Sorry, Bishop Williamson, but it's a wonderful scene!  (He hates that film.)