National Review blasts SSPX
We Catholics can and should defend ourselves against the encroachment upon our constitutional rights by the Obama administration. It is fitting and just to invoke the First Amendment and the religious protections it grants in this circumstance. By appealing to the free exercise clause, one is not necessarily stating that there is an absolute, God-given freedom of religion; one is simply appealing to the supreme law of the land, which the President of the United States has sworn to uphold. I completely accept what Pope Pius IX, et al. have to say regarding religious liberty; nevertheless, we need to argue our case with framework that our fellow Americans will understand and with arguments that will convince them. Proclaiming that the Catholic Church is the one true religion which the state must profess is not going to convince many Protestants, Jews, agnostics, or atheists to rally to the defense of our liberties.
(04-16-2012, 02:07 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: I guess you don't know much about Bill Buckley. What do you expect from a Judaizing Neo-Con Rag that got its seed money from the C.I.A.

Either way, it would seem that God has spoken through the pages of the National Review.

This may be the biggest news since Moses came down from Sinai.

Exactly. I stopped subscribing to that rag once my eyes were opened to the fact that Mr. Buckley wasn't a true conservative.
(04-16-2012, 02:38 PM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 02:35 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: We may use it here in the US, but the idea of Religious Liberty was condemned in the Syllabus. It is literally evil to believe in religious liberty.

Sounds like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to me...

Look, let's be realistic here.  The dream of a truly Catholic nation is, barring some kind of miracle, dead.  The Church recognizes this, even if some trads don't.

It doesn't matter if it's dead. Truth is Truth. Look at all the people behind the Iron Curtain who maintained the Faith while being persecuted.
(04-16-2012, 02:39 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Even if things are not ideal, religious liberty in and of itself is evil. The Church has consistently condemned it.

Whatever happens in the US doesn't okay it.

Right. I'm a Catholic first and an American second. (The Know-Nothings would have loved me.)
(04-16-2012, 06:56 PM)Lee Timmer Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 02:39 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Even if things are not ideal, religious liberty in and of itself is evil. The Church has consistently condemned it.

Whatever happens in the US doesn't okay it.

Right. I'm a Catholic first and an American second. (The Know-Nothings would have loved me.)

I am too! Couldn't be any other way!
I do not favor siccing the cops, prosecutors and judges on people who practice heresy. My position affirms religious liberty *and* religious tolerance. This does not mean error has rights before God. It does not mean truth is relative. It only means I do not favor siccing the cops, prosecutors and judges on people who practice heresy. 
(04-16-2012, 08:04 PM)anamchara Wrote: I do not favor siccing the cops, prosecutors and judges on people who practice heresy. My position affirms religious liberty *and* religious tolerance. This does not mean error has rights before God. It does not mean truth is relative. It only means I do not favor siccing the cops, prosecutors and judges on people who practice heresy. 

Religious liberty is heretical. I urge you to re-examine your position.
No matter how you understand the Catholic doctrine on religious liberty, IMO, the contraception issue is not really a religious liberty issue--it's a natural law issue.  I understand why it is being couched in religious liberty terms though, since natural reason seems to be quite hard to find when it comes to this issue these days....

Do you really believe we're commanded to sic the cops on heretics? On people who practice contraception? How about people who miss Mass on Sunday? Who fail to call their mothers? What kind of civil sanction should we mete out to adulterers?

Christ forgave the adulteress. He told her to sin no more. He did not commend her to the authorities.

Granted, the authorities of His day wanted to stone her, which is harsh punishment. But stoning was commanded by the Law. Are you telling me if Christ were here today, He'd commend the adulteress to American secular authorities? You don't think He'd have a problem with fining her and caging her in one of America's notorious rape pens?

I urge you to re-examine your position. 
(04-16-2012, 08:05 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Religious liberty is heretical. I urge you to re-examine your position.

This! It is a heresy, clearly and repeatedly condemned by the Church. No one accepting this heresy, like any other heresy, has any right to call himself a Catholic.