National Review blasts SSPX
(04-17-2012, 11:22 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: By the way, First Things has also mocked the SSPX on this issue:
Quote:Not that the SSPX document is easy to take seriously, as it comes loaded with so much old-timey, vintage rhetoric deployed with the solemnest of faces. There are invocations of Pius IX’s Syllabus of Errors (“error has no rights,” readers are reminded), warnings about the dangers of ‘assimilationism,’ and even a rather intriguing, vaguely-conspiratorial reading of American history (in which “America’s original Catholic soul [paid with the blood of first Spanish, then French missionaries]” was forcefully “supplanted” with a Calvinist one).
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstth...on-ground/

Only in America could a magazine devote itself to justifying dissent from Catholic teaching on economics and foreign policy and still be called "conservative."

:amen:

As one famous man said, "They have uncrowned him!"
Ladies and gentlemen, that is Americanism at its finest.
(04-17-2012, 11:22 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: By the way, First Things has also mocked the SSPX on this issue:
Quote:Not that the SSPX document is easy to take seriously, as it comes loaded with so much old-timey, vintage rhetoric deployed with the solemnest of faces. There are invocations of Pius IX’s Syllabus of Errors (“error has no rights,” readers are reminded), warnings about the dangers of ‘assimilationism,’ and even a rather intriguing, vaguely-conspiratorial reading of American history (in which “America’s original Catholic soul [paid with the blood of first Spanish, then French missionaries]” was forcefully “supplanted” with a Calvinist one).
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstth...on-ground/

Only in America could a magazine devote itself to justifying dissent from Catholic teaching on economics and foreign policy and still be called "conservative."

No surprises here. Birds of a feather. I believe the Culture Wars article I posted above on The Manhatten Declaration gives some keen insight into Father Neuhaus and First Things.  They can call themselves "conservative", but only in terms of Neo-Conservatism and with respect to the full sense of what that term means within the context of America as a Judeo-Christian Nation.

Perhaps they ought to be considering the Four Last Things rather than First Things.
So as to be fair to the publication, is a rejection of the Social Reign as unfeasable or outdated or a promotion of religious liberty heresy?

It appears to me that it is heretical.
Now that I heard this, I must go to Tim's link and listen to that ISOC talk by Hugh Akins.

Here is a 30 minute discussion, on what I assume is the same subject that Tim posted.

I found this while trying to find a source for Americanism and the Anti-Christian Conspiracy by Msgr. Henri Delassus. Only recently translated from the original French.

http://www.catholicactionresourcecenter....caesar.htm

You need to scroll down a bit to find the 30 minute audio file.
Ah, Adam, you've figured it out. I try to spoon feed the fact that Americanism is heresy, not just in France. The Church that is the new conservatives as well many of the traditionalists, think it does not apply.  As the hippies used to say to the midddle class, Man, you've been co-opted. This usually was preceded by power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Catholics have been co-opted by America, and it was planned.

tim
(04-18-2012, 10:13 AM)Tim Wrote: Ah, Adam, you've figured it out. I try to spoon feed the fact that Americanism is heresy, not just in France. The Church that is the new conservatives as well many of the traditionalists, think it does not apply.  As the hippies used to say to the midddle class, Man, you've been co-opted. This usually was preceded by power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Catholics have been co-opted by America, and it was planned.

tim

Indeed, Tim. I even ordered the book from Omni Christian Book Club. I only wish I could get my hands on what sounds like the unabridged version that came out many years ago.

Too bad Underdog couldn't listen to this. If your out there as an occasional reader, UD, please listen. She said Pope Leo XIII praised America. Mr. Akins has answered that objection to a post I had made on Americansim a long time ago. In which I could not put into words why that view was incorrect.  Yes, he praised the good, but did not fail to point out the bad.

Tim, I always thought it very strange that the Protestant Revolution occured just 25 years after the discovery of the New World. It always seemed to me that Protestantism was the maritime religion that wanted to exploit the opportunities by the discovery of the New World, by the Catholic World Order. 

I believe fully that americanism and religious liberty are indeed heresies.  HOWEVER, I understand the current appeal of American Catholics to the first amendment.  We do not live in a Catholic society, we do not live in a society that is even remotely charitable towards the catholic church.  We do live in a society that has a founding document guaranteeing religious liberty, which applies to ourselves.  
If we are have to live in a society that professes religious liberty as a basic right, I do not believe it is wrong for Catholics to appeal to that sense when our right to practice our religion is being impaired.  I believe it is not so much professing that we believe in religious liberty as pointing out that if our society holds religious liberty as a right, then we are having our rights denied us.  We are pointing out their basic hypocracy of affirming liberty, but denying it to us.  Not touting our own belief in it.
We're working within a flawed system, while praying for the flaws to be mended and society to be converted.
The first amendment does protect us. Can can get good out of an evil thing (right to worship anyway one wants to).
The only way to fix a flawed system is to step out of it. Even if this stepping out is merely an excercise of the mind.

The current set-up is a prison without bars. As my grandmother used to say, the one who could not join her family over here until after WWI, who only got to go to school until the third grade because of said War, "there's no justice!". And lest I forget one of her other great quotes, "You can't fight City Hall".

I just put the exclamation point to set-off her quote. She was very calm about it and very much at peace.

I have her rosary, and pray with it. I know she was my St.Monica and I wouldn't be posting here if she did not pray many rosaries on those same beads for my conversion.