Why is Freemasonry dangerous?
(04-27-2012, 02:39 AM)Traditional Guy Wrote: Interesting story about Freemasonry: When I was going through RCIA a year ago last Christmas through Easter (ugh don't ask) a new convert like myself with a Southern drawl asked myself and our RCIA instructor what was wrong with Freemasonry (in the instructor's defense at least they condemned Freemasonry) I told them flat out it was a sinister cabal which the Southerner responded that I was calling his relatives that were Freemasons sinister and started to yell. :LOL:

My response is that in the US Masonry is a mass movement in which many of the members have no idea of the aims of the leadership until they've been thoroughly vetted to be initiated into the secrets. Many never are. In fact, the Masons have a term for them, 'knife and fork Masons', i.e., those who have joined for the fellowship and connections they can make in the Lodge.

In other countries, Masonry is indeed a secret organisation and you would never see bumper stickers with '2 B 1, ask 1' and the Masonic Square and Compass, since to 'B 1' requires an invitation, only extended after the Lodge is fairly certain of the individuals commitment to the ideals of the Revolution and the destruction of Christian culture.
I am not sure if this has already been posted, but you should consider reading this encyclical to understand the Catholic Church's opposition to freemasonry.
At best freemasonry is essentially just another false religion (it acts as a kind of supplementary religion), and at worst it is an organization with the positive objective of eradicating Catholicism. I don't think there's any doubt that it was the latter in the past, but nowadays your local lodge (at least in the USA, not sure about elsewhere) is probably more like the former. If that were the case joining the lodge would be like joining the local Unitarian Universalist church (which is a public act of  defection from the faith).  I  like how it is put shortly and succinctly in the commentary from EWTN on the CDF's confirmation from 1983 of the Church's  condemnation of Freemasonry:

"Some have tried to say that American Masonry is different from European Masonry, which has a history of plotting against the government and the Church. The basic problem with all Masonry, however, is that it is a society which fosters a religious- philosophical attitude of indifference to religious truth, even substituting its own naturalistic dogma and rituals for those of Christianity. Such indifference is incompatible with belief in the Holy Trinity and the Incarnation. We may not "play-act" in the lodge of the Great Architect on Thursday night, then worship "in spirit and in truth" on Sunday morning at the altar of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the unique Lord and Redeemer of the Universe, the Word-made-flesh who reveals the Father, and who together with the Father sends the Holy Spirit. The Creed and the Masonic oath are irreconcilable!"

The CDF note and commentary:
http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/freemasonry.htm

Another papal document against Freemasonry is Custodi di Quella Fede, of Leo XIII

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13ms3.htm
(04-27-2012, 05:22 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(04-27-2012, 02:39 AM)Traditional Guy Wrote: Interesting story about Freemasonry: When I was going through RCIA a year ago last Christmas through Easter (ugh don't ask) a new convert like myself with a Southern drawl asked myself and our RCIA instructor what was wrong with Freemasonry (in the instructor's defense at least they condemned Freemasonry) I told them flat out it was a sinister cabal which the Southerner responded that I was calling his relatives that were Freemasons sinister and started to yell. :LOL:

My response is that in the US Masonry is a mass movement in which many of the members have no idea of the aims of the leadership until they've been thoroughly vetted to be initiated into the secrets. Many never are. In fact, the Masons have a term for them, 'knife and fork Masons', i.e., those who have joined for the fellowship and connections they can make in the Lodge.

In other countries, Masonry is indeed a secret organisation and you would never see bumper stickers with '2 B 1, ask 1' and the Masonic Square and Compass, since to 'B 1' requires an invitation, only extended after the Lodge is fairly certain of the individuals commitment to the ideals of the Revolution and the destruction of Christian culture.

I have also heard the people you describe as the "Porch Bretheren".
Quote: I pray that God may forgive me for this.
If you went to confession, and the priest gave you absolution, you are forgiven.  There is no doubt.  I would ask a priest in the confessional if there were excommunications that were upon you and if a priest was able to lift them.  If so, get a conditional lifting of excommunication to be safe.  Otherwise, it may require the bishop.  Find out about that.  If you die in the interim, then the Church supplied jurisdiction, and you'll be ok, but find out from a good priest.

As far as the question goes, your basic Mason is probably pretty harmless.  They are taught about a brotherhood of men, charitable works, and things like that.  I believe that is for the 4 degrees.

There are also 33 additional degrees (Scottish Rite I believe).  I believe at the 33rd degree, the devil worship is revealed.  Lietrim, can you comment about that?  As you went up in degrees, did it become more occult oriented?  I know someone who dropped out at 32 degree.  He never would talk about it.  Also, at his funeral, no mason color guard showed up with bag pipes, etc...  I always wondered if he saw something that made him quit.  He was one degree away from a lot of wealth and power, but dropped it.

The enemy of masons is and always will be the Catholic Church.  WWI was started by Masons to break up the Austrian Hungarian empire.  Same with masonic influence in Mexico.  They are blood enemies of Catholics.
(04-28-2012, 07:59 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: At best freemasonry is essentially just another false religion (it acts as a kind of supplementary religion), and at worst it is an organization with the positive objective of eradicating Catholicism. I don't think there's any doubt that it was the latter in the past, but nowadays your local lodge (at least in the USA, not sure about elsewhere) is probably more like the former. If that were the case joining the lodge would be like joining the local Unitarian Universalist church (which is a public act of  defection from the faith).

I would merely add to this that the false religion at Freemasonry's heart is none other than that ancient enemy of the Church, gnosticism.  Like all esoteric forms of belief, Freemasonry claims to impart (by means of secret ritual) access to some deeper understanding of human nature and the cosmos that is not available to the uninitiated.  What is so striking about the video posted over in the other Mason thread going at the moment (http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...776.0.html) is the fact that the man in the video and so many of the YouTube commenters describe their having been "Masons before they were Masons"; that is, they describe being able to "see" aspects of the world that others could not, and they claim that Masonic ritual gave them the means to apprehend reality more fully. That seems a rather succinct encapsulation of precisely what gnosticism purports to accomplish.  And, of course, as we know, all gnostic claims to deeper "knowledge" are fundamentally diabolical in nature.  If I'm correct in understanding Masonry as such, it's merely a part of the much broader turn toward gnostic thinking that Eric Voegelin diagnosed several decades ago.  So, to that end, its objective remains the eradication of Catholicism, even if that goal remains implicit.
Bless you, Lietrum. You're not alone.

I used to be a Freemason as well, until just a few months before I reverted to Catholicism. A great part of the appeal was the fraternity of the group, as well as the symbolism and quasi-mystical aspects of the degrees. (You spend a lot of time in each degree blindfolded, and in the first degree, they take it off and you're in a pitchblack room, except for the light of three globes placed next to an altar with all the brothers of the lodge arranged around you. It's imagery like that which really sticks with you.)

I remember one of the big things that got me second-guessing about it was some of the commentary in the Masonic Bible they gave to me. A lot of stuff about how monks were obscurantists and kept Europe in the dark ages, you know, a lot of Black Legend drivel. You also hear a lot of crap like the Knight Kadosh degree, where supposedly the initiates must stomp the papal tiara (although I don't know how true that is.)

I think the nail in the coffin was reading John Salza's Masonry Unmasked and learning about just how rabid the Freemasons were about destroying religious-based education in our country. So I told my fellow lodge-members that I was leaving. It really hurt, because they are my friends, but they're misguided as to what freemasonry stands for.

To go a bit off-topic, has anyone here read Hannah's Darkness Invisible, and if so, would you recommend it?
(05-13-2012, 02:36 AM)LongfellowDeeds Wrote: To go a bit off-topic, has anyone here read Hannah's Darkness Invisible, and if so, would you recommend it?

I have, and I recommend it highly.  It is a very thorough take on Freemasonry and its problems, without going into kook territory at all.
God bless you Lietrum (& LongfellowDeeds), thanks for sharing your testimony. Its indeed very encouraging :) Be of good cheer, you have been forgiven.