Introducing people to the TLM via the Novus Ordo
(04-25-2012, 12:19 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: People are drawn to the externals, but why go to a Novus Ordo in Latin when the TLM is available?
I agree that the TLM is much more common an Mass than the NO in Latin,though there are some places where the Latin Novus Ordo is offered and the TLM is not.
One parish in my diocese offers the Latin NO, but not the TLM.
I would much rather assist at the Latin NO than the 'Ordinary Form" as it is commonly offered.
(04-25-2012, 12:17 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 11:28 AM)Might_4_Right Wrote: Will someone please explain to me why we need two rites? This whole idea of two rites is just down right confusing, if the Catholic Church is the one true Church shouldn't there be only one true mass.  ???

Seriously?  :doh:

I'm serious Silouan. Considering your an Orthodox, maybe you could enlighten me on the subject.
(04-25-2012, 12:37 PM)Might_4_Right Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 12:17 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 11:28 AM)Might_4_Right Wrote: Will someone please explain to me why we need two rites? This whole idea of two rites is just down right confusing, if the Catholic Church is the one true Church shouldn't there be only one true mass.  ???

Seriously?  :doh:

I'm serious Silouan. Considering your an Orthodox, maybe you could enlighten me on the subject.

I'm not sure what me being Orthodox has to do with anything and I'm quite sure I'm not going to say anything you don't already know. At what time in history has there been only one rite? Even today in the Catholic Church you have several Latin rites, the Byzantine rite, several Syriac rites, a couple of Alexandrian rites among others. This variation in rites has been the case in the Church from time immemorial. So considering the fact there has never been only one rite, I'm not sure why you think now, some 2,000 years on, that there should be only one.  :shrug:
(04-25-2012, 10:42 AM)Ray M Facere Wrote: Most of the transitions with priests that you hear about start with changing some of the externals of the Novus Ordo such as vestments, ad orientiam, communion posture, et al. and then progress to the Novus Ordo in Latin and finally to the Traditional Mass. Any of the changes to the Novus Ordo in a traditional direction, I believe, will ultimately end up at the Traditional Latin Mass because they are usually initially driven by theological inquiry that can ultimately arrive at only one conclusion. In other words, once people have an inclination to make the Novus Ordo more holy, I believe it is only a matter of time and progress in this inquiry before they go full fledged to the TLM.

This is just what happened at my local parish.  It was very successful.  So I'm convinced it is a good approach for dealing with the parish level.  However, if I knew an individual open to it, I would encourage attending the TLM without working up to it via a reverent NO.
What he meant was not a multitude of rites, but two so called "forms of one rite."
Quote:What he meant was not a multitude of rites, but two so called "forms of one rite."

That is a distinction without a difference for anyone who believes the old Roman Rite is substantively different than the New one.
(04-25-2012, 03:44 PM)Ray M Facere Wrote:
Quote:What he meant was not a multitude of rites, but two so called "forms of one rite."

That is a distinction without a difference for anyone who believes the old Roman Rite is substantively different than the New one.

I agree with you. Hence, the quotation marks.
(04-25-2012, 03:39 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: What he meant was not a multitude of rites, but two so called "forms of one rite."

"One true Church........one true mass."

Not sure how I misread that.  ???

(04-25-2012, 04:01 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 03:39 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: What he meant was not a multitude of rites, but two so called "forms of one rite."

"One true Church........one true mass."

Not sure how I misread that.  ???

If it means one true Mass as in only the Roman Rite, that is incorrect.
Well, who needs musty old tradition anyway, right? Obviously, we can decide through abstract reason that one liturgy ought to be imposed on everybody.