Introducing people to the TLM via the Novus Ordo
(04-25-2012, 04:11 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: Well, who needs musty old tradition anyway, right? Obviously, we can decide through abstract reason that one liturgy ought to be imposed on everybody.

Have you been channeling Bugnini?
(04-25-2012, 04:02 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 04:01 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 03:39 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: What he meant was not a multitude of rites, but two so called "forms of one rite."

"One true Church........one true mass."

Not sure how I misread that.  ???

If it means one true Mass as in only the Roman Rite, that is incorrect.

Even if we restrict the statement only to the Roman Rite hasn't there been multiple forms of that rite in use at the same time for a long time now? What's the difference between a Low Mass, High Mass and Missa Cantata?
Those aren't different forms in the same way Benedict XVI is saying that the Novus Ordo is somehow the "ordinary form," and the traditional Mass is the "extraordinary forum."
I think the point of my comment is it doesn't really matter whether they call it two forms of the same rite or two different rites. It's still the same in effect in as much as both are allowed.
(04-25-2012, 04:25 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Those aren't different forms in the same way Benedict XVI is saying that the Novus Ordo is somehow the "ordinary form," and the traditional Mass is the "extraordinary forum."

So they're different, just not different enough?
Too different
(04-25-2012, 04:36 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Too different

Okay.
Now I'm really confused! If the the Novus Ordo and Traditional Mass are nothing but a distinction without a difference, then what has all the fuss been about?
(04-25-2012, 04:48 PM)Might_4_Right Wrote: Now I'm really confused! If the the Novus Ordo and Traditional Mass are nothing but a distinction without a difference, then what has all the fuss been about?

Ever been to a Novus Ordo mass?
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Quote:Now I'm really confused! If the the Novus Ordo and Traditional Mass are nothing but a distinction without a difference, then what has all the fuss been about?

No -- that's not what I said. The designation of a "different form of the same Roman Rite" versus "two different authorized Roman Rites" is a distinction without a difference.