Introducing people to the TLM via the Novus Ordo
(04-26-2012, 06:32 AM)Tim Wrote: If someone has an old St. Joseph Daily Missal from before the Council would you look at the Levabo for me, I seem to remember it was bolded and could be said by the congregation, too.

tim

Tim,

I'm looking at my 1951 St. Joseph's Daily Missal (Catholic Book Publising Company).  At the Lavabo the rubric says After the offering of the bread and wine, the Priest washes his fingers and recites the followint verse of Psalm 25; at the bottom of the page is a note In Masses for the Dead, and in Masses during the Season of Passion Time, the "Glory be" is omitted..

I looked in the Introduction and the text on the Lavabo reads: Originally the priest washed his hands because they had become soiled by handing the bread and flasks of wine presented by the people at the Offertory.  Now this act is a symbl of the inner purity with which priest and faithful should approach the Sacrifice of the Lord..

I didn't find anything indicating that this was recited by the congregation also.
Thanks, Moneil. I must've dreamed that up. I may have from recitation of the psalm in the office took a quantam leap of logic to arrive at that idea.

tim.
(04-27-2012, 09:49 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(04-27-2012, 08:44 AM)JayneK Wrote: At St. V de P, I occasionally see a man whom I think is a seminarian rather than a priest acting as sub-deacon.  He wears a white biretta rather than a black one like the priests do.  Is he a "straw dub-deacon"?

The only people I know who wear white birettas are canons of the Norbertine order. Or, possibly, clerics in tropical countries, since they already wear white cassocks and so forth. Norbertine birettas have four winged peaks, while other birettas usually have three. I think that if a seminarian is already tonsured and can wear the cassock as daily dress, then he can wear the biretta as well, though without the pom.

If he's a seminarian who's already ordained as subdeacon or deacon, then he's not a straw subdeacon. A straw subdeacon is someone who serves in the role but isn't actually ordained one. Similar to the practice of using laymen to serve Mass in general. They're all basically "straw acolytes".

He might be a Norbertine.  There are some at the seminary there.
(04-26-2012, 11:31 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(04-26-2012, 10:42 AM)Aragon Wrote: Really? Wow. My parish has Solemn Mass every single Sunday and other holy days of obligation. I wasn't aware of how rare that is.

With deacon and subdeacon, every Sunday? That's good, but very unusual indeed, even for trad churches that actually have three clerics.

Yes, with deacon and subdeacon every Sunday. Usually on the traditional Holy Days of obligation that fall in the week too.