This article needs the Fisheater treatment!
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/02/10/b...indulgen/#
Get in there with me and slam this articles comments. Its a 2 year old hit piece that is for some reason getting the bump tot the top treatment at a large internet news aggregator.

Buy your way to Heaven! The Catholic Church brings back indulgence
s

By Jason Cochran
Posted 5:00PM 02/10/09
Posted under: Retail, Family Money, Saving Money

These days, you can get a deal on anything. Even salvation! Pope Benedict has announced that his faithful can once again pay the Catholic Church to ease their way through Purgatory and into the Gates of Heaven.

Never mind that Martin Luther fired up the Reformation because of them: Plenary Indulgences are back.

The New York Times reports that even though the church officially broke with the age-old practice -- you do something good, and the Church will help absolve you -- in 1960, the Pope has quietly reintroduced it. The Catholic Church had technically banned the practice of selling indulgences as long ago as 1567.

As the Times points out, a monetary donation wouldn't go amiss toward earning an indulgence. It writes, "charitable contributions, combined with other acts, can help you earn one." You can even buy indulgences this way for loved ones who are already dead, greasing their way to Heaven by doing something for the Church here on Earth.

Why would the Catholic Church agree to this reversal? It wouldn't be the harsh economy, would it, or the church's fading influence? Not at all, says a Brooklyn bishop. "Because there is sin in the world," he told the newspaper.

Reformation? What Reformation?
The guy is way off. People on purgatory are already saved
I never knew the Church stopped granting plenary indulgences.  ???
Just pray for him, he's misguiding souls. He's leading them to the ditches, attacking the vulnerable souls leading them astray. Just pray for him :)
I'm guessing he pulled the year 1960 out of his *ahem* ...hat since it was the start of the revolutionary decade. We should fact-check that.
Of all the indignation at the beginning of the article, he seems most indignant about the Bishop's statement that there is sin in the world.
Luther himself did not reject indulgences in toto. His problem was essentially with authority.
(04-30-2012, 08:48 PM)Jesusbrea Wrote: The guy is way off. People on purgatory are already saved

He also doesn’t understand the Reformation. I don’t know of any non-Catholic who understands what indulgences really are.
(04-30-2012, 09:02 PM)Petertherock Wrote: I never knew the Church stopped granting plenary indulgences.  ???

I think they stopped monetary indulgences. There are still indulgenced prayers, I believe.
(04-30-2012, 08:02 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/02/10/b...indulgen/#
Get in there with me and slam this articles comments. Its a 2 year old hit piece that is for some reason getting the bump tot the top treatment at a large internet news aggregator.

I just posted this as a comment there.

Quote:Salvation is not by Faith "alone".  It's a shame that Luther added the word "alone".  Faith is dead without Works (James 2:17, 2:26 & 2:20).  In 1522 Luther placed James and 3 other New Testament Books in the back of his Bible unnumbered.  The 3 other New Testament Books were Hebrews, Jude, and Revelation.  Imagine what people thought.  Those 4 New Testament Books were placed back in the Lutheran Bible in the proper order 80 years later.  Thank God the Lutheran officials wised up.

A proper Confession forgives sins but it does not shorten our time in Purgatory for those sins.  This is where Works or indulgences come into play to shorten ours or our loved one's time in Purgatory.  The St. Michael the Archangel prayer is a very popular prayer that Catholics say for the Holy Souls in Purgatory.  Actually for any Holy Souls in Purgatory, whether we know them or not.

Purgatory is not a second chance.  If you make it to Purgatory then you are on your way to Heaven.  There are many references to Purgatory in the Bible, not by name but the word Trinity is not mentioned by name in the Bible either but we as Christians recognize the Trinity.  For a list of Bible verses that mention Purgatory I'd suggest that you go to scripturecatholic dot com and go to the Purgatory page. 

Indulgences were never given up by the Church. They have always been there.  It is absolutely wrong to sell indulgences.  In Luther's time there were abuses by some German priests in this matter, but they were never with the sanction of the Church.

Pope Leo X granted the favor of certain indulgences to those who would give alms towards the building of St. Peter's in Rome. But there is a difference between giving alms to a good work, and giving money to purchase something.  Remember that Christ had a special blessing for the widow who gave her mite as an alms to the temple in Jerusalem.  Would you accuse Him of selling that blessing for a mite?

I will end by saying that the Bible asks us quite a few times as Christians to be one body in Christ.  These verses come to mind, Romans 12:5, Colossians 3:15, 1 Corinthians 12:12 and Ephesians 3:6.

God bless
Mike