MARIJUANA Part II
If criminals can't sell the bomb skunk because it's legal they'll just find something else to sell.  They're criminals.  Meaning, they are lazy and want to find an easy way to make a lot of money.  As for taxes....really?  Like the government needs more money?

No, reducing crime and taxation are two of the worst arguments for legalization.  Not that I have any real objection to legalization, just not for those reasons. 
Doc,

Please share more!
(05-02-2012, 10:06 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(05-02-2012, 09:45 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote:
(05-02-2012, 09:23 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: It seems to me that marijuana is a lot harder to use in moderation than alcohol. I mean, with alcohol, it's pretty easy to know exactly how much you're drinking, as the percent alcohol of different drinks is well-known (heck, it's on the label), and you can easily count how many of a particular drink you've had. With pot, though, it's difficult to know how high the THC amount of what you're smoking is, and how much you're getting with each hit.

Different breeds of marijuana, different levels of potency, different price... the same could be said of alcohol.  You can drink a mug of beer and be fine... but drink a mug of hard liquor and you won't be.

Right, but check it out.  The only way to smoke and not get high (which would have varying levels of sin attached) is to smoke crappy weed.  And if you're going to smoke crappy weed, you might as well not smoke it in the first place.  This has always been my general point against the moral licitness of pot.  On a very technical level, if legal, I could see it being morally licit... but not usually.

There are degrees of being high, just as there are with alcohol. I can drink one beer and be a little tipsy (I have a low tolerance), or I can drink two beers and be pleasantly inebriated, or I can drink three beers and be drunk, or I can drink four beers and pass out (like I said, I have a low tolerance). Likewise, I can take one or two tokes of pot and get a little bit of a buzz, or I can smoke a whole joint all by myself and sit there in a stupor for the next hour or two. As someone else said, it's a bit harder to regulate pot usage, because it depends so much on how strong the pot is, and you don't always know that. But in theory, you can be moderately high, just like you can be moderately affected by alcohol.
(05-04-2012, 04:52 PM)DrBombay Wrote: If criminals can't sell the bomb skunk because it's legal they'll just find something else to sell.  They're criminals.  Meaning, they are lazy and want to find an easy way to make a lot of money.  As for taxes....really?  Like the government needs more money?

No, reducing crime and taxation are two of the worst arguments for legalization.  Not that I have any real objection to legalization, just not for those reasons. 

It's the cash crop for drug dealers.  Nothing else sells as well.
(05-04-2012, 05:29 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Doc,

Please share more!

Well, if you insist.  :tiphat:

Even if smoking ghanja is immoral, not everything that is immoral should be illegal.  In an ideal Catholic state, perhaps.  But we live far from an ideal Catholic state.  I think certain evils can be tolerated for the common good. Even if we assume the catnip is immoral, we've seen what keeping it illegal has done. Namely, clog our court systems with a bunch of relatively harmless folks who like to get high.  Not everyone in jail for mooster possession is a drug king pin.  Legalize it and you free up a lot of jail space especially in high crime areas like California, New York and St. Louis. 

Keeping something against the law just because a bunch of latent Puritans get their panties in a jam about it is bad public policy.  Legalize the stink weed I say.  It's not a cure for much of anything but it's at least a step.  Toward something.
I've got a 40 lb. bag of Oreos and some clam dip.
Dr Bombay - using your logic, your government shoulda just left the Cali cartel the heck alone, cos hey, once they were gone somebody else filled the void. Columbians are gonna sell coke no matter what ya do.

And hey - due to the street level dealers being usually involved with criminal organisations that sell cannabis, thanks to your logic, a whole bunch of young kids are gonna graduate from weed to coke! Thanks Doc. Your prescription really works...
(05-08-2012, 01:09 AM)Arun Wrote: Dr Bombay - using your logic, your government shoulda just left the Cali cartel the heck alone, cos hey, once they were gone somebody else filled the void. Columbians are gonna sell coke no matter what ya do.

And hey - due to the street level dealers being usually involved with criminal organisations that sell cannabis, thanks to your logic, a whole bunch of young kids are gonna graduate from weed to coke! Thanks Doc. Your prescription really works...

If you are going to use my logic, you must unfailingly be logical.  You, however, are something less than logical.

Graduate from weed to coke.  Oh my.  :eyeroll:
(05-08-2012, 05:58 AM)DrBombay Wrote:
(05-08-2012, 01:09 AM)Arun Wrote: Dr Bombay - using your logic, your government shoulda just left the Cali cartel the heck alone, cos hey, once they were gone somebody else filled the void. Columbians are gonna sell coke no matter what ya do.

If you are going to use my logic, you must unfailingly be logical.  You, however, are something less than logical.

Graduate from weed to coke.  Oh my.   :eyeroll:

Yeah, the TV shows you watch about it probably make out like it's just some bogus Reagan-era War On Drugs nonsense. I grew up around junkies and hard drug users. I've seen people move from weed to hard drugs.
I don't believe that cannabis is a "gateway drug". I simply believe that the reason that so many people end up making the "graduation" is because the same guys they're getting their weed from are also slinging meth, or coke, or opiates.

I've seen it happen. In real life. With my own two eyes.

I have lost a lot of friends who went down those sorts of roads.

Please keep them in your prayers thanks :)
I certainly see the logic on both sides. Drugs are horrible, and like Arun, I have seen many people ruin their lives, usually starting off with weed, and moving on to crack etc. However, the same can be said with alcohol, or fast food, and so on. At a certain point, personal responsibility has to step in.

I think solid, traditional Catholic moralists should decide whether or not marijuana use (for recreation) is sinful or not.