The Song of Bernadette
i just watched this movie about the life of St. Bernadette Soubirous entitled "The Song of Bernadette" and it was amazing and a real tear jerker and soon found out that it one several oscar awards (hard to imagine that happening today for a catholic movie). Has anyone else seen it ? What do you think of it?

It's a beautiful movie. Imagine if it won oscars these days!
Seen it many times - it is absolutely one of my all time favs along with The Miracle of Fatima and Man for all Seasons and..............
God bless the makers and promoters of these great films.  Smile
Benno, the reason films like these are no longer made, and therefore cannot win Oscars, is due to Fr. John Courtney Murray and The American Proposition. Which of course was the full maturation of the Americanist Heresy. In it, he claimed among other things that Catholics were now fully integrated into the American Way and had assimilated.

He called for an end to boycotts as there was no reason to complain as we were now one big happy family protected under the umbrella of "Religious Liberty".

This American Proposition cut off at the knees the League of Decency which started in Philadelphia with a boycott of Warner Brothers Theaters by the local bishop in the 1930s. Because Hollywood was already making scandalous movies. Not only did the boycott work, but it actually resulted in Hollywood creating movies that catered to a Catholic audience. It was a culture war between the Catholics and the Jews in which the Catholics won.

The League of Decency tried to go on, but besides Fr. Murray's mortal blow and the acceptance of The American Proposition, a movie came out in 1965 that ended it. It was The Pawnbroker starring Rod Steiger. He played the part of a Holocaust Survivor. There was one scene in which a woman's breasts were revealed if memory serves. Either way, the League was basically paralyzed as it could not find the courage to criticze the movie due to it's reference to the Holocaust. Around the same time that Fr. Courtney became the champion of TAP, a play came out portaying Pius XII as an enemy of the Jews and thus, without justification, started to receive the moniker of "Hitler's Pope". I cannot recall the name of the play, perhaps someone here can help me out.

Long story short, Hollywood eventually did what they wanted to always do. Produce low cost films with plenty of sex to reap huge profits.

Long story short, it still goes on and reached its zenith when the German Passion Play, I won't even attempt to spell it, but it begins with an O, was banned at Notre Dame, while the Vagina Monologues was allowed on campus.

But, yes, it is a wonderful movie. And I thought some might want to know the "why" behind the current mileau.

We cannot, and must not chalk the entire cultural rot to an inevitable creep in progressivism and taking the attitude that this is just the way things naturally evolved.

There were players involved and battles won and lost. We've been on the losing side for 52 years in this battle. But, life is short and eternity is forever.

I am beginning to contemplate the notion that Vatican II, can in part, be seen as suffering from the same paralytic seizure that took down the League of Decency in regards to the Holocaust. In particular the drafting of Nostra Atate and the warming up to the ecumenical approach as a way to lay dormant for a spell and not have the Church take the fall in anyway for the Holocaust.
I think I saw it as a child.
the whole movie's on youtube in 15 parts

below is part 3, it's just lovely how the actress portrayed St. Bernadette

you gotta watch also the part where the civil officials are dumbfounded when an aristocratic lady from the Empress goes to the grotto to fetch water.  Smile
I have the DVD at home. This is my absolute favorite scene in the movie. Watch.

[video=youtube]kuUayXp6aJQ[/video]
I have it on DVD too.  Casablanca stole the best film Oscar from it!
(05-11-2012, 08:34 AM)Filipino Catholic Wrote: i just watched this movie about the life of St. Bernadette Soubirous entitled "The Song of Bernadette" and it was amazing and a real tear jerker and soon found out that it one several oscar awards (hard to imagine that happening today for a catholic movie). Has anyone else seen it ? What do you think of it?

One of my all time favorite films. A GREAT performance by Jennifer Jones, her Oscar was richly deserved. She was raised Catholic but left the Church later on which is a shame but she really made a convincing performance.
A very apt comment from Ingrid Bergman:
""I cried all the way through 'Bernadette' because Jennifer was so moving and because I realized then I had lost the award," said Ingrid Bergman, who was nominated for an Oscar for her role in "For Whom the Bell Tolls" the same year Jones won."

C.