The Song of Bernadette
the actress Blanche Yurka was also very good as the formidable Aunt Bernarde and may i mention the strict and jealous nun Sister Marie Therese was the best villainess Smile
(05-12-2012, 07:52 AM)Filipino Catholic Wrote: the actress Blanche Yurka was also very good as the formidable Aunt Bernarde and may i mention the strict and jealous nun Sister Marie Therese was the best villainess Smile

Gladys Cooper. What a tremendous actress!

Alfred Newman's score also deserves special mention. It's one of the most moving in the history of Hollywood, and was recycled several times(the "Hallelulah" at the end can be heard in IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE and THE ROBE, among other films). Newman was awarded the Oscar for his music.
(05-11-2012, 07:30 PM)Pheo Wrote: I have it on DVD too.  Casablanca stole the best film Oscar from it!

Eh...it's a fantastic movie, but I think Casablanca earned its Oscar.
The Song of Bernadette is a great movie. I've seen it several times. That and A Man for All Seasons are my two favorite religious movies.
(05-12-2012, 07:52 AM)Filipino Catholic Wrote: the actress Blanche Yurka was also very good as the formidable Aunt Bernarde and may i mention the strict and jealous nun Sister Marie Therese was the best villainess Smile

My vote goes for Charles Bickford. When my girlfriend first saw The Song of Bernadette, during the scene where the tough-as-nails Father Peyramale tells the officials that they'll get ahold of Bernadette "over my dead body", she turned to me and said "So he's an SSPX priest, then?"
(05-12-2012, 10:30 AM)Dusty_Bottoms Wrote:
(05-11-2012, 07:30 PM)Pheo Wrote: I have it on DVD too.  Casablanca stole the best film Oscar from it!

Eh...it's a fantastic movie, but I think Casablanca earned its Oscar.

Maybe I don't understand the cliché soap opera style.  And I've never understood why "here's looking at you, kid" has become so quotable.
(05-12-2012, 12:32 PM)LongfellowDeeds Wrote:

My vote goes for Charles Bickford. When my girlfriend first saw The Song of Bernadette, during the scene where the tough-as-nails Father Peyramale tells the officials that they'll get ahold of Bernadette "over my dead body", she turned to me and said "So he's an SSPX priest, then?" THIS!!  Smile

The movie 'The Passion of Bernadette' is being aired on Salt and Light Television today at 4:00 pm.  For those in Ontario that have Cogeco cable the Salt and Light Television station is on channel 185, or at least it is where I am.  You can view some Salt and Light Television programs online but I'm not sure if you can view 'The Passion of Bernadette'.
http://saltandlighttv.org/