proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul
(05-12-2012, 12:37 PM)yablabo Wrote:
(05-11-2012, 04:57 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: I'm having trouble understanding the proof from reason alone, that is, apart from divine revelation, that the human soul is immortal. I understand and accept that the 2 powers we have that animals do not, are intellect and free will, and that these are spiritual powers. But it seems that the conclusion that our souls cannot die is a step I can't make without the help of divine revelation. It seems that it can be made without divine revelation. Can anyone help me understand this? Thank you in advance.

(Edited to replace the word 'logic' with the word 'reason')

There is no convincing proof based upon reason apart from divine revelation that the human soul is immortal.  That's in fact a fallacy which comes from dividing revealed truth from philosophy.  Only a person who knows by certain evidence observed in the natural world that God will keep his soul in existence after his bodily death could then posit the proof that one can come to the immortality of the human soul from reason alone.  There is no such certain evidence in nature that shows that human souls do not simply return from the potential from whence they came at bodily death, like the soul of an animal.  It is necessary to have the revelation of the One who knows on this subject (i.e., God) in order to hold the immortality of the soul with certainty.  Therefore, divine revelation is necessary in this pursuit...

-- Nicole

Most people who don't believe in Revelation still believe their souls go on after death.  If people can conceive of life after death outside of revealed truth, then obviously it is possible to do so.  To say otherwise is base sophistry.

Messages In This Thread
Re: proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul - by Parmandur - 05-12-2012, 02:51 PM