proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul
(05-12-2012, 08:03 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 06:51 PM)Grasshopper Wrote: For what it's worth, Hume agrees with yablabo/Nicole:

http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/socialsciences/p...y-Soul.htm

Not claiming that Hume is the last word on this subject (nor is anyone else), but he does agree with her. Also, in my personal experience, everyone I know who believes in the immortality of the soul also believes in revealed religion. Every atheist I know believes that the soul dies with the body. This would also support her point.

Well, Hume doesn't believe Metaphysics is possible, and was an atheist, so that is no surprise.

I know many people who do not believe in any revealed religion, but are not atheists.  They think they will live on in some fashion after death.  This is normal.  Atheists are a small part of the population, always have been, always will be.  Even in the most secularized countries of Europe, belief in reincarnation is on the rapid increase.  When people are divorced from revealed religion, they don't stop believing in spiritual things, they just become pagans like our ancestors.  Who, like their secularized descendants, believe in life after death.

I can only say that my experience has been different. I know quite a few atheists. Most of them were brought up as religious believers, and turned away from religion at some point and became atheists. None of them believes in the immortality of the soul, despite being brought up to believe exactly that. They all believe that the soul dies with the body. And without a belief in God, that seems like the normal and natural thing to believe. Hume's reasoning makes perfect sense to me. If I didn't believe in God, I would be in complete agreement with him.

Messages In This Thread
Re: proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul - by Grasshopper - 05-12-2012, 08:51 PM