proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul
(05-12-2012, 09:40 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 09:11 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 08:44 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: But what about my earlier question about the claim in the book that the human soul must be immortal because it has no parts? Do you know how to explain that to me?

That just means that the soul is not material, but a form.  And forms do not die.

Well, an animal, and a plant has a soul too, but these souls die. How come?

Well, I'm not sure I'd personally be too quick to assert that.  But the traditional basis for saying that is that animals and plants do not have individuality, being non-persons.  As such, "Dog" is immortal, but Fido will die.  So Fido's being a dog is an accident of "Dog," as it were, and "Dog" is neither more nor less for Fido's life or death.  Aristotle, when we come down to brass tacks, thought that about the human soul as well, that the only immortality we have is that of the species, being instantiations of the one form "Man.:  St. Thomas Aquinas, when it comes to human personality, is a Platonist and not an Aristotelian.

(05-12-2012, 09:40 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: Parmandur, since you're clearly not a sophist, much less a 'base' one, I'm looking forward to your elaborating on 'It's all in Plato'!  :hello!:

Well, on a less cutesy note, I already did post Plato's arguments on the first page.  And these are good summations of the base on which most people, of any kind, have in fact known that their soul is immortal

Messages In This Thread
Re: proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul - by Parmandur - 05-13-2012, 02:44 AM