proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul
OK, I'm going to go back to the point I made earlier, that maybe belief in God is necessary for belief in the immortal human soul, since I can't accept that the book 'College Apologetics' is all that bad, and that's the order the book uses. By belief in God I don't mean knowledge of divine revelation, I just mean, what a reasonable person with good will would be able to conclude about God, with the help of His graces, which were always available to everyone.

The author uses Aristotle's (and later Aquinas's) 5 points to prove God's existence:

Proof from motion
Proof from causality
Proof from contingency
Degrees of perfection
Proof from design

It sounds like everyone here knows what these mean, and I think I understand them well enough. From these proofs, he says we can know something of the Nature of God.

It seems to me 2 truths sort of jump out to make an important point. First, God is infinitely perfect, and second, man is the only creature who can know anything at all about Him. That's easy to see. So it seems reasonable to me, now that I remember all of this, that God would want to be known. Because, would a God like this, Who is infinitely perfect, be satisfied with a creature who could know something of Him, only to have that creature's soul be destroyed with their body? In other words, while it's true (as I've said above in another post) that God can destroy our souls anytime He wants, the fact of His infinite perfection suggests that it would be beneath Him to do that to all of His creatures. It seems reasonable to me that this God would want a memory of Himself in at least one of His creatures. What do you think?

Parmandur, I will reply to your reply soon. Thank you very much.

Messages In This Thread
Re: proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul - by per_passionem_eius - 05-13-2012, 05:51 PM