proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul
(05-13-2012, 05:51 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: It seems to me 2 truths sort of jump out to make an important point. First, God is infinitely perfect, and second, man is the only creature who can know anything at all about Him. That's easy to see. So it seems reasonable to me, now that I remember all of this, that God would want to be known. Because, would a God like this, Who is infinitely perfect, be satisfied with a creature who could know something of Him, only to have that creature's soul be destroyed with their body? In other words, while it's true (as I've said above in another post) that God can destroy our souls anytime He wants, the fact of His infinite perfection suggests that it would be beneath Him to do that to all of His creatures. It seems reasonable to me that this God would want a memory of Himself in at least one of His creatures. What do you think?

That seems a plausible theory, and I also think you are right that a natural knowledge that there is a God seems to preface believing in an afterlife.  Though, as I said earlier, I know atheists who believe in ghosts, and demographically a certain number of atheists do report believing in heaven and hell, so go figure.

St. Anselm argues at one point that God can do no evil, because evil is a privation and God is perfect and without lack.  To do evil is not a power (potency) but a privation of power (impotence), so God in His Omnipotence cannot have any privation of power (impotence) in Him, which is all evil is.

Quote:Parmandur, I will reply to your reply soon. Thank you very much.

Your welcome, it is my pleasure.  :)

Messages In This Thread
Re: proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul - by Parmandur - 05-13-2012, 05:58 PM