proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul
(05-15-2012, 02:41 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 11:15 AM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: At the risk of making a nuisance of myself, I repeat:
(05-13-2012, 03:12 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: What little formation I have in logic is from reading 2 books on Introduction to Philosophy, and this book 'College Apologetics', which is said to have been written for people who don't have philosophy formation. I appreciate your patience with me. I understand that learning logic is a long process even with a teacher, and perhaps not really practical for a middle-aged person without a teacher. What do you think, Nicole?

You could give this book by Peter Kreeft a try, "Socratic Logic": http://www.amazon.com/Socratic-Logic-3-1...pd_sim_b_1

It is hardly perfect, but he explains things in a clear and sometimes humorous manner.  It has good, simple excercises.  One of the major points about traditional logic is that it is just explicating how people think by default, so I would not say it is "beyond" anybody who applies themselves.  :)

I was actually going to recommend that very book, and as for her concerns about attempting this without a teacher in middle age, I certainly hope those concerns are unfounded, because I'm doing exactly that (I'm 57).

Messages In This Thread
Re: proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul - by Grasshopper - 05-15-2012, 05:20 PM