proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul
(05-18-2012, 02:30 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: Would it be ok if we stuck to Aristotle, since I believe, regarding the OP, he's sufficient to answer the question? In the 2 introductory books on philosophy that I have, they both say that Aristotle was the founder of the true philosophy, and his teachers were the ones whose ideas he perfected. I'm just trying to do what's most practical to get the question answered, and I think this would help.

It is very helpful to hear that we do need revelation to know that the soul was created and is not eternal. Does everyone else agree with that, or there some objections?

What's the difference between 'proof' and a 'way of seeing'? I think I know, but I can't really explain it. I think it would help if I could have it explained. Thanks in advance.

Well, there is proof, and then there is proof.  The Pythagorean Theorem is proof with absolute certainty; to deny it is clearly insane.  That my fiancee loves me is something of which I am more than adequately convinced, but this is not proven to the level of mathematical rigor.  In terms of the soul and whether it lives on, our evidence is more ambiguous than that of mathematics.  Without revelation, we have innumerable testimonies to near death experiences and such, which lead the vast majority of people to believe in an afterlife, reasonably so.  As people in the West abandon Christianity, there is not a similar movement to abandon believing in the afterlife, because people based on their experiences and those of others conclude that there is life beyond, just as they conclude that their family loves them.  The proofs Plato uses are more like the evidence that your family loves you than it is like mathematics, proof that is adequate if you accept it based on experience.  St. Thomas is doing something similar with his 5 Ways to see that God exists.  None of them is adequate as a rigorous proof, but it can be a prism through which to look at the world and see that it is so.

To be honest, the book you were reading from might be extolling Aristotle, but the logical "proof" of life beyond death is more Plato, which makes sense as he is the one who after all taught Aristotle everything he knew.

To be technical, Thales started philosophy, but I don't see that as being terribly relevant.

Messages In This Thread
Re: proof from logic alone of the immortal nature of the human soul - by Parmandur - 05-18-2012, 03:06 PM