ORthodox perspective of Traditionalist Catholics
(05-14-2012, 07:15 PM)Norbert Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 04:21 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 04:15 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 03:58 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 03:54 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Well, denial of immediate Roman primacy is heretical.

According to Roman Catholicism.

The Orthodox, Copts and Protestants have their own reasoning on the matter.

As do the Arians concerning the divinity of Christ.

Are there any Arians around? Arianism flatly contradicts Scripture and the most basic and fundamental Christian belief.

The non-Catholic Christians still exist in very significant numbers and interpret those scriptural passages used in support of the Petrine primacy differently than Roman Catholicism does. Some Fathers also did so, there's certainly precedence in scriptural exegesis. It's not a clear and cut thing that non-Catholics don't accept out of mere pride or obstinacy. It's a bit disingenuous to constantly portray them as dishonest or stupid. Even an honest Catholic apologist has to admit that Petrine primacy, not to mention supremacy, was not very conspicious during the first millennia of Christendom. It's one of those dogmas that became "explicit" and "defined" more than one thousand years after the fact.

Vetus, as an ex-protestant, I will say that you are 100% right about this...but this is a matter that must be faith-based and not just "evidence" based.  I believe you've quoted "faith comes from hearing, and hearing from the word of God" before...well I've had faith in catholic doctrine ever since I read the word in context with Catholic claims.

Is there evidence that Jesus was speaking to Peter personally assigning him the keys?  Yes.  Will it ever be "conclusive" for schismatics and heretics?  No.  I choose to believe when I can't see. 

It's "a faith thing".

We all know that, in the end, it's all a matter of choice and personal conscience. I don't dispute that.

In any case, we can't pretend that the scriptures present a clear case for those doctrines that are exclusively Catholic that only the blissfully ignorant or those of hardened hearts can't see. It simply doesn't. The reasons that sustain the division with the Orthodox and the Protestants don't lie exclusively in bad motives, lack of scholarship or mere polemics on their part.

Messages In This Thread
Re: ORthodox perspective of Traditionalist Catholics - by Vetus Ordo - 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM