What the congregation does during a TLM
Rex and I are looking at making a monthly 4 hour round trip to the nearest SSPX mass here soon.  While I'm comfortable with the whole 'do what everybody else is doing' method, Rex would prefer to know what is expected of him before we go.
SO, does anybody have a video of what the congregation does during mass? I'm finding many (beautiful!) videos showing the priests and deacons, but none of them give a good view of what the congregation is doing.  I'd be ok with a written synopsis, but Rex is a visual type learner  because he's badly badly dyslexic.
The primary question is whether or not it's a low Mass or a sung/solemn Mass. However, there are occasionally some local customs which will be different from the norms.
I suppose I ought to give the presiding Priest a call to find out the particulars.  Aside from the local customs, do you know of any vids that show both a low and solumn Mass? Big Grin I've looked, but like I said, I can't seem to find any that show the congregation.
My (admittedly limited) experience is that the congregation, at least outwardly, does much less than at an NO Mass. You don't have to worry about responses -- the altar boys do those. And you don't say "Amen" when receiving Communion. You just kneel, open your mouth and receive, make the sign of the Cross, and go back to your pew. Other than that, it's mainly a matter of standing, sitting, and kneeling at the correct times. At a lot of TLMs, they will have the little red Missalettes that tell you when to do those things. Otherwise, I just follow the rest of the congregation (I make sure I sit far enough back that there are people in front of me to watch). As HK implied, the correct times (to sit, stand, or kneel) are different at Low Mass and High Mass. That is covered in the red Missalettes.
(05-13-2012, 02:35 PM)knittycat Wrote: I suppose I ought to give the presiding Priest a call to find out the particulars.  Aside from the local customs, do you know of any vids that show both a low and solumn Mass? Big Grin I've looked, but like I said, I can't seem to find any that show the congregation.

If you go to this page and click "play video", you'll see good instructions for sung Mass as done in most places. http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/tutorial/m...cense.html

Any missal will tell you when to sit/stand/kneel (it's different for High and Low Masses) but as for congregational responses, it differs everywhere. The laity have been allowed to say all the server's parts for about 100 years but it isn't always exercised. One parish I go to has people saying all of them loudly plus the whole Pater Noster (not allowed, I think?), but at our usual parish people responded only to certain parts, and usually at a whisper. There're no rules about volume or minimum vocal participation.
(05-13-2012, 03:28 PM)Richard C Wrote: Any missal will tell you when to sit/stand/kneel (it's different for High and Low Masses) but as for congregational responses, it differs everywhere. The laity have been allowed to say all the server's parts for about 100 years but it isn't always exercised. One parish I go to has people saying all of them loudly plus the whole Pater Noster (not allowed, I think?), but at our usual parish people responded only to certain parts, and usually at a whisper. There're no rules about volume or minimum vocal participation.

Yeah, although if it's a low mass and you notice that no one (except the servers) are doing the replies... probably better not to audibly be belting out Keer-ee-ay-eel-ayee-zon and the like.  I used to "prefer" the dialogue mass, but I started to realize how badly everyone speaks latin... I mean, it doesn't have to be perfect or even above amateur, but people need to at least try. 

More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Just sit in the back and do like everyone else. You shouldn't feel like you have to be an expert. Let the priest do his job. Take it all in, and be blest.  Smile
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(05-13-2012, 02:51 PM)Grasshopper Wrote: My (admittedly limited) experience is that the congregation, at least outwardly, does much less than at an NO Mass.

Obviously this varies from parish to parish.  Because apart from missing out on the sign flashmob of peace, the congregation at my weekly Missa Cantata joins the choir in singing most of the responses and ordinary parts of the Mass.  It's been a while since I was at my last NO, but I don't remember being any busier.
Relax and pray. Thank God for this most beautiful of things. Know that the sacrifices you are making(time, gas $$) will result in the greater good for you and your family.