I've just watched this on television...
...and I had to share it with you.

It was a late night programme in Portuguese television about religion. Two guests - a historian and a priest - and a female journalist as the anchor. The priest in question, Anselmo Borges, is an "intellectual," a theologian and philosopher who, besides his pastoral duties, is also a teacher of Moral Theology and a few more subjects at the University of Coimbra and an author of books concerning religion, philosophy and spirituality. Therefore, he's a man not only in good standing with the Church but also with the world of academia in general.

After half an hour of the expectable nonsense that pervades modern thought and modern debates about religion, including an implicit denial of the divine origin of the teachings contained in the Bible, the priest in question is asked by the anchor about how religions have treated women down in history. The priest then surprisingly states that he apologises to all women for what his Church has done to them and adds this incredible statement that actually propelled me to write this thread in the first place: "In fact, let me tell you, if it weren't for a woman - Mary Magdalene - that had the intuition that Christ hadn't died for nothing, there wouldn't be any Christianity today." After being pressed on by the journalist, he repeats the same thing, trying to show that Christianity in its purity is so women-friendly that it was actually a woman's intution that founded it! What unbelievable hogwash! I'm perfectly aware of the calamitous state of the Church in my country and elsewhere, and I know most of the clerics today are hopeless modernists, if not atheists in some cases, but this man takes it a step further and publicly denies the Resurrection of Christ - the very foundation of our faith and hope - ascribing it to Mary Magdalene's "intuition." But then again, this is the kind of priests and Catholic intellectuals we're used to having around, men "in communion with the Church" that proclaim that there's more truth in all religions taken as a whole than in one religion alone. Yes, I've heard that thing spoken by Catholic priests a few times, trust me. It's pure indifferentism and none of them are suspended. If these men are Christians, then I'm not.

I mean, if I weren't a believer already, I would laugh at what these men say. Seriously. Instead, I cry inside. It's just too bad, too sick to be true.

I'm sorry for venting, this is a rather pointless thread but I just had to get it off my chest.
[Image: double-facepalm.jpg]

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FacePalm

I have to share the trope link.  The content is relevent to my post. (it includes the phrases, dopeslap, headdesk, and surrounded by idoits. I think that sums my feelings up nicely.)
Your thread isn't pointless at all, Vetus. You in fact makes some excellent points.

C.
I'm positively sick and tired of these "priests" and "bishops" who are nothing but practical atheists.

It's revolting.
He said it because all of the the politically incorrect things the Church did in the past and still stands for today. For modern, secular people, prohibiting "priestesses" is seen as a great injustice. It's pandering, which is essentially what modernism is. Oh, those dogmas are too hard for all of our separated brethren to accept etc.

Could anyone imagine, this man is a theology professor at a university. At least Hus was condemned.
(05-13-2012, 07:01 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: I mean, if I weren't a believer already, I would laugh at what these men say. Seriously. Instead, I cry inside. It's just too bad, too sick to be true.

I'm sorry for venting, this is a rather pointless thread but I just had to get it off my chest.

There is nothing wrong with venting.  This is truly disturbing.
He's not a mere theology professor at a university, although it's a reputed one, he's also a priest in good standing with the Church.

And he's not alone. There are dozens like him. I've met a few myself.
(05-13-2012, 08:05 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: He's not a mere theology professor at a university, although it's a reputed one, he's also a priest in good standing with the Church.

About how old is he?  I've heard that there is a pattern of the younger priests being more orthodox, while the heresy and heterodoxy tends to be among the older ones.  This is true in my limited experience, so I'm hoping for a "biological solution".
"In Portugal, the doctrine of the Faith will always be preserved, etc..."
(05-13-2012, 08:11 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 08:05 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: He's not a mere theology professor at a university, although it's a reputed one, he's also a priest in good standing with the Church.

About how old is he?  I've heard that there is a pattern of the younger priests being more orthodox, while the heresy and heterodoxy tends to be among the older ones.  This is true in my limited experience, so I'm hoping for a "biological solution".

I don't know. He looks to be in his fifties or sixties at most.

But don't automatically assume that the younger generation is orthodox. They're not.