OLS (SSPX) in Phoenix forfeits baseball championship game
Our Lady of Sorrows in Phoenix, AZ, has been at the center of a national news storm after the high school baseball team forfeited the championship game because the other team had a girl on it.  The coach had contacted all the other teams at the beginning of the season to make sure none of them had girls on their teams but I guess this gal was added halfway through the season because her school doesn't have a softball team.  Everybody's so shocked about this, the cultural revolution has really done quite a job on society.  Since when is treating a lady like a lady a bad thing?  The comments all over the web are really disturbing (the usual "catholic pedo" type stuff, as well as sexist type stuff, and blasphemies).  Anyway, I'm not a sports guy, so I gotta ask: where are the ladies in major league baseball?  Where are the gals in the NFL?  Why are men and women separated in the world cup and the olympics?  How come nobody is UP IN ARMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about that?  Huh?

Anyway, the priests are having a really hard time, and apparently the office has been receiving really hateful calls all day every day for days now.  Please pray.  If you google Our Lady of Sorrows Phoenix you can get tons and tons of stories about this.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-r...5897.story

PHOENIX (Reuters) - An Arizona high school forfeited a shot at a state baseball championship on Thursday rather than compete against an opponent that had a 15-year-old girl on its team, an official from the rival school said.

Our Lady of Sorrows Academy in Phoenix had been due to play Mesa Preparatory Academy in the Arizona Charter Athletic Association state championship.

Ads by GoogleBut the team pulled out rather than face the Mesa squad, which fielded 15-year-old Paige Sultzbach at second base, Mesa Preparatory Academy headmaster Robert Wagner said.

"They wouldn't play the game as long as we had a girl on the team who was on the field. It violates their policy about boys playing against girls," Wagner told Reuters.

"It's just unfortunate that our kids who are excited about playing don't have the opportunity," he added.

Reuters was unable to reach Our Lady of Sorrows for comment. But Fox News reported an official at the school as saying it had no option but to forfeit the game.

"Teaching our boys to treat ladies with deference, we choose not to place them in an athletic competition where proper boundaries can only be respected with difficulty," Fox reported the official as saying in a statement.

"Our school aims to instill in our boys a profound respect for women and girls," it added.

Media reports described Our Lady of Sorrows as being run by traditionalist, conservative priests who do not agree with Roman Catholic Church reforms enacted by the Vatican II Council in the 1960s and who broke from the Church in the 1980s.

The girl's mother, Pamela Sultzbach, told the Arizona Republic, "This is not a contact sport, it shouldn't be an issue.

"It wasn't that they were afraid they were going to hurt or injure her, it's that (they believe) that a girl's place is not on a field."

I see Tulkas already posted about this in the SSPX section.
(05-14-2012, 01:32 AM)Titus Alba Wrote: Since when is treating a lady like a lady a bad thing?

I don't believe anyone is a lady or a gentleman by default, and that's one of the problems with post-medieval but pre-Vatican II culture. Gentry is cultivated by a combination of high birth and high conduct. To treat everyone as a lady or a gentleman is very egalitarian.

Applying it to the subject at hand, if a girl is on an otherwise all-boys' baseball team, she clearly doesn't want to be treated like a "lady", so there's no need to force her into that role.
Aarg.  The SSPX did not "break from the Church."  Nor do they "disagree with the Catholic Church."  They are a part of the Church -- they just disagree with the council, is all.  Crazy  We need to stand up to this mistreatment of facts.

As far as the actual subject matter goes -- girls on boys' teams seems like a recipe for injury if you ask me.  The vast majority of sports competitions are single gender for a reason -- mixed (pairs figure skating, certain tennis matches) and non-specific (only equestrian events for the Olympics) are rare for a reason.
(05-14-2012, 04:02 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 01:32 AM)Titus Alba Wrote: Since when is treating a lady like a lady a bad thing?

I don't believe anyone is a lady or a gentleman by default, and that's one of the problems with post-medieval but pre-Vatican II culture. Gentry is cultivated by a combination of high birth and high conduct. To treat everyone as a lady or a gentleman is very egalitarian.

Applying it to the subject at hand, if a girl is on an otherwise all-boys' baseball team, she clearly doesn't want to be treated like a "lady", so there's no need to force her into that role.

Lemme rephrase:

Since when is treating a female like a female a bad thing?
Was it against the rules of the league they were playing in to have girls on a boy-team? If not, the SSPX team should never have been in that league in the first place. By participating in such a league, they would have been exposing themselves absurdly to this problem.

If was against league rules, that is what they should have argued, instead of throwing what they consider to be pearls in front of pigs.

I agree with the Harlequin King, however, that gender does not create gentry. My understanding is also that in the Middle Ages, some women were considered ladies, and were treated as such. Some were not, and were treated in accordance with their "state".
(05-14-2012, 07:40 AM)Titus Alba Wrote: Lemme rephrase:

Since when is treating a female like a female a bad thing?

It's not, but it doesn't preclude women who want to play baseball. Mixed-sex sports were common in the Middle Ages among non-ladies. For example, here's an image from a manuscript in the Bodleian Library, Oxford depicting both monks and nuns playing an early form of baseball:

[Image: stickball.22r.jpg]

This fresco also even has noblewomen with men, but it's hard to gauge how "serious" this sport is:

[Image: 7006070.JPG]

Other sports in the Middle Ages typically involved entire villages playing early forms of football.
Already a topic about this here... http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...716.0.html