Cardinal Archbishop Wants His Seminary Run by the SSPX
(05-16-2012, 06:53 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: For example, user SaintSebastian, McMaster, Rev. Prof. Brian Harrison, et al have made serious attempts to reconcile Dignitatis Humanae with eg the Syllabus.

Ah yes, mental gymnastics worthy of a mental Olympics!
(05-16-2012, 06:46 PM)Parmandur Wrote: You didn't bring up Fatima, just throwing in something about how someone will always be unhappy, no matter what happens.  :bubbles:

Well, you kinda did straw man by bringing up Fátima, bro. :pipe:
(05-16-2012, 06:44 PM)tmw89 Wrote: Besides... I'd be happy if the NO was abrogated and +Lefebvre's cause for canonization opened... along with +Castro-Mayer and +Guerard des Lauriers  :grin:

Just sayin' - STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED.  And I never said anything about destroying the SSPX, either; subverting, on the other hand, is far worse...

How about an apology to all trads for the last 40+ years as well. If Moslems, Jews, etc. can get one, we should as well.
(05-16-2012, 06:56 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 06:44 PM)tmw89 Wrote: Besides... I'd be happy if the NO was abrogated and +Lefebvre's cause for canonization opened... along with +Castro-Mayer and +Guerard des Lauriers  :grin:

Just sayin' - STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED.  And I never said anything about destroying the SSPX, either; subverting, on the other hand, is far worse...

How about an apology to all trads for the last 40+ years as well. If Moslems, Jews, etc. can get one, we should as well.

Now, Crusader, let's be realistic, here!  :LOL:
(05-16-2012, 06:52 PM)tmw89 Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 06:46 PM)Parmandur Wrote: Oh, of course.  Far worse.  Nothing more subversive than putting the Society in charge of priestly formation.  That just takes the wind out of their sails.  :sobstory:

Not just any kind of priestly formation - DIOCESAN priestly formation.  Under the jurisdiction of a diocesan bishop.  I understand Ranjith has been "Trad-friendly," but if taking the man up on his offer entails SSPX teaching seminarians how to say the NO "reverently," then I'd count that as subversion.

But somewhat to your credit, it is rather early to start prophesying doom and gloom... too early to start singing praises on the matter, either, if you ask me... it's yet another instance of "Wait And See."

You have a point, this is not the end itself.  But my goodness, could this have happened at all 10 years ago?
(05-16-2012, 06:55 PM)tmw89 Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 06:53 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: For example, user SaintSebastian, McMaster, Rev. Prof. Brian Harrison, et al have made serious attempts to reconcile Dignitatis Humanae with eg the Syllabus.

Ah yes, mental gymnastics worthy of a mental Olympics!

This is what I have heard about the so-called "reconciling with tradition."
(05-16-2012, 06:55 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 06:46 PM)Parmandur Wrote: You didn't bring up Fatima, just throwing in something about how someone will always be unhappy, no matter what happens.  :bubbles:

Well, you kinda did straw man by bringing up Fátima, bro. :pipe:

It's fair.  I just find it absolutely bizarre that this news can be read as in any shape bad.
(05-16-2012, 06:54 PM)ggreg Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 06:41 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 06:38 PM)tmw89 Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 06:34 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Or, what if it's just for liturgy, and not doctrine?

I don't think that it's far fetched for trads to have apprehensions.

If it IS just for liturgy, that'd be a tad funny, as I think we both know the SSPX track record for strictly liturgical study and practicum (God bless them!)

(05-16-2012, 06:34 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 06:30 PM)tmw89 Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 06:27 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 06:23 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 06:18 PM)OldMan Wrote: OK. Sounds nice. But what if graduates don't want to be trads and want to go N.O. ? Also, the SSPX is supposed to "train" seminarians to be N.O. presiders? This needs to be thought through, people.

Good point.

Not really.  Managing to see the bad in this story is nigh on despair.

No, there's a point to be made - SSPX come in, and Ranjith has them teach Aquinas and all that good stuff - but what of liturgical studies?  Will the SSPX have to teach seminarians how to say the NO "reverently"??  What at first appears as good news transforms into... a possible attempt to subvert Traditionalists.

OOOoooookay.  So, Cardinal wants SSPX to run major Archdiocesan Seminary.  Secret plan to destroy SSPX.  Got it.   :possess:

Yah, sounds even more outlandish than a plot to supplant a liturgy in place for centuries with one concocted by a committee that - oh wait, nevermind.

:LOL:

Some people will never be happy, even if the Church abrogated the NO and canonized ++Lefebvre.  It would still all be a Modernist trick to subvert the Third Secret of Fatima, etc, etc, etc...

Let's try. I bet I would be pretty happy.

Hey, I'm game.  :grin:
What has really changed from 2002? The TLM is more widespread. For most SSPXers and "hard" trads (sedes, indies, etc.), they had the Mass in 2002.

Doctrinally there has only been the "Hermeneutic of Continuity." That's it.

If the Oath Against Modernism is re-introduced, prelates sacked, professors fired (eg Richard McBrien), let me know. When the Jesuit universities are Catholic again, let me know.
(05-16-2012, 07:00 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: What has really changed from 2002? The TLM is more widespread. For most SSPXers and "hard" trads (sedes, indies, etc.), they had the Mass in 2002.

Doctrinally there has only been the "Hermeneutic of Continuity." That's it.

If the Oath Against Modernism is re-introduced, prelates sacked, professors fired (eg Richard McBrien), let me know. When the Jesuit universities are Catholic again, let me know.

Well, this news is a start.  The "Hermeneutic of Continuity" may not be your cup of tea, but it is a foot in the door to really examine what the Council said, as +Fellay said in his recent interview with CNS.