Cardinal Archbishop Wants His Seminary Run by the SSPX
(05-17-2012, 04:13 AM)Whitey Wrote: Not directed at you, but there seems to be so many on the forum who think the pope can just flip a switch and everything will be nice and orthodox.

Like the suggestion to "abrogate the NO". Ok, sure. Then you will have a bunch of priests praying a TLM they don't want to pray, and a bunch who do want to, but don't know Latin well enough.

The NO has to be phased out.

I agree.  I would like to see the NO abrogated, but I do not think it is practical to do it suddenly.  I think it needs to be phased out.  In the meantime, it should be celebrated with a proper translation (which we finally got last year) and without abuses.
(05-17-2012, 03:22 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 04:13 AM)Whitey Wrote: Not directed at you, but there seems to be so many on the forum who think the pope can just flip a switch and everything will be nice and orthodox.

Like the suggestion to "abrogate the NO". Ok, sure. Then you will have a bunch of priests praying a TLM they don't want to pray, and a bunch who do want to, but don't know Latin well enough.

The NO has to be phased out.

I agree.  I would like to see the NO abrogated, but I do not think it is practical to do it suddenly.  I think it needs to be phased out.  In the meantime, it should be celebrated with a proper translation (which we finally got last year) and without abuses.

I have my own fantasy about how I'd do this.

1. Tell everyone my plans so the hysterics can get their drama out of the way.  The very motivated priests and laity can get their 1951 Missals and what not, whereas others know they will have some time.
This will take the form of an apology to trads, an a clear assertion that the Pope should never meddle in the liturgy as happened since the 1950s, and this this is only a program of restoration.  Make clear statements that while I cannot bind future popes by law, it would clearly be evil for popes to ever again try to destroy the TLM.

2. Immediately allow 1951 Missal, and issue a calendar that is the same as 1951 but with newer saints added.  Recommend 1962ers switch but give them some time.  Also immediately abrogate the newer rites of confirmation, holy orders, baptism, exorcism, and everything else except the Mass, which will be changed gradually.
3. Immediately abrogate all Eucharistics prayers, re-write EP1 to actually be the Canon and mandate it.
4. Over time put expiration dates on indults for altar girls and CITH.
5. Praise and recommend ad orientem, and insist all priests switch by a certain time.
6. Piecemeal, reintroduce all the old laws regarding vestments, construction of the altar and sanctuary, nature/quality of sacred vessels, etc.

Then the rest can come over time as it is less essential.  Changing the rest of the NO piece by piece to conform to the traditional Missal, abrogating the new lectionary, abrogating the new calendar.

Restoring the minor orders!  Requiring the propers and banning hymns as replacements.  And so on.

Also during this, issue a syllabus of errors explaining that Vatican 2 was pastoral, taught nothing new.  In it also address every single question raised by Vatican 2 and give a clear interpretation based upon Trent.

Not sure if I'd mandate Latin, but I would mandate very slavish literal translations of the liturgy.

This could be done over 5 years.  What a dream.  It was fun thinking about it and writing this.
Sounds good to me, NYC.  :)
(05-17-2012, 09:09 AM)Tim Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 08:23 AM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: He actually can.  It's just a big scary switch with "excommunication" on it. and it would have to be applied so broadly that it would make him look crazy.

Agreed that he has to take his time, but let's not minimize the Pope's power and responsibility.

Yep, that's right just you and the SSPX, and send the rest to hell, on a bullet train, for not seperating themselves from Rome. That's the ticket ain't it ? Think about being responsibel for all of those souls !

tim

That was very rude.

People don't go to hell for not separating themselves from Rome, they could possibly go to hell for separating themselves from the Church and obediently refusing to confess the divinity of Our Lord by way of His Church's exceptionalism . I'd personally recommend thinking about the responsibility one has for one's own soul, as we live in perilous times and the consequences for following revolutionary men in their quest against God are potentially eternal.
(05-17-2012, 02:52 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: might be better if the Cardinal sends his seminarians to Econe....

Non French SSPX priests have said that the atmosphere at Econe is "French only"
(05-16-2012, 08:17 PM)City Smurf Wrote: Yea... the good bishop of going to invite the bloody SSPX into his seminaries to teach the Novus Ordo.

Some of you people are simply idiots.

Indeed.  This is the smurfiest smurf I've seen on this board in a smurfing long time.

Smurfs gonna smurf. 
Opinions, speculations, theories, suppositions, private views, ipse dixits, hypotheses -- it boggles my mind to read through all this.  It goes to show nobody knows anything.
(05-18-2012, 12:25 AM)Vincentius Wrote: Opinions, speculations, theories, suppositions, private views, ipse dixits, hypotheses -- it boggles my mind to read through all this.  It goes to show nobody knows anything.

I know something.  :tiphat: