What God has revealed..............
In Scripture God tells us he would not give us more than we can handle. If that is true why are there people who committ suicide, apparently they reached the point of where they couldn't handle things emotionally anymore. Puzzled???
(05-17-2012, 12:44 PM)salus Wrote: In Scripture God tells us he would not give us more than we can handle. If that is true why are there people who committ suicide, apparently they reached the point of where they couldn't handle things emotionally anymore. Puzzled???

Such people (barring those who are seriously compromised by mental illness) give in to despair.  They can handle what life gives them, but they choose an easy way out.
Suicide is not a result of God giving man what he can't handle. It's the result of man's own cowardice and lack of moral integrity.
Wouldn't anyone who committs suicide  have mental illness. People don't committ suicide for fun.
By that logic though, you could also argue that we should be able to never sin.  

God is continually putting us in situations to succeed spiritually.  Obviously we can't handle certain situations and they cause us to sin.  We make the choices though to "handle" it or not.  I think is our imperfect human's fault though, more than God.  God hasn't given us anything that we truly can't handle.  We, as humans, just are not where we need to be spiritually.  OR at least where we are supposed to be at spiritually.

If you find yourself sinning, does that mean it's God's fault because he's putting you in situations to fail?  No.  
(05-17-2012, 12:48 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Suicide is not a result of God giving man what he can't handle. It's the result of man's own cowardice and lack of moral integrity.

This.
(05-17-2012, 12:44 PM)salus Wrote: In Scripture God tells us he would not give us more than we can handle. If that is true why are there people who committ suicide, apparently they reached the point of where they couldn't handle things emotionally anymore. Puzzled???

He also gives us free will to reject His graces of perseverance and long-suffering, etc. Suicide is the ultimate act of self-indulgence, I think.

This is a good point you've made. It's good for me personally as a reminder never, never to complain to Him about what He's given me. I can't be reminded of that too frequently. Thank you so much. Here's a Hail Mary for you, salus.  :pray2:

(05-17-2012, 12:50 PM)salus Wrote: Wouldn't anyone who committs suicide  have mental illness. People don't committ suicide for fun.

If that were true, then the Church wouldn't be teaching that suicide is a mortal sin. There might be mental illness involved, and that might lessen the gravity of the sin, but it's still a sin to kill anyone. Mental illness, like any illness, might be punishment for actual sins, or in the case of a holy person like Louis Martin, St. Therese's father, a trial.
(05-17-2012, 12:50 PM)salus Wrote: Wouldn't anyone who committs suicide  have mental illness. People don't committ suicide for fun.

Of course not, they commit suicide out of despair and cowardice.

It's not a mental illness, it's a spiritual illness.
Part of it also is they are prideful and have no love as in the movement of the will for God or their family and friends. They are saying in effect I'm so great and you all treat me like shit. It's the old non serviam.

tim