What God has revealed..............
I disagree some people are in such emotional or physical pain they can't take it, i don't think it has anything to do with trying to hurt others.
(05-17-2012, 06:55 PM)salus Wrote: I disagree some people are in such emotional or physical pain they can't take it, i don't think it has anything to do with trying to hurt others.

In a way you're right. Some suffering is unbearable without God's grace. The person who doesn't ask for grace doesn't receive it, and so they  really can't bear it all by themselves. A person might not think anyone would miss them, or follow their example, and so maybe in those cases, there isn't any conscious attempt to hurt anyone. Plenty of people who think euthanasia should be legal everywhere are motivated by not wanting to be a burden to anyone anymore.

But it would be hard to see how someone like this could be excused since this view would be applied to other people too i.e. 'Why should I have to take care of anyone? Why can't I just kill them instead?'
It sort of reminds me of people who want to be cremated ,meanwhile we are continually reminded of the cremation services that Adolf Hitler applied during WW2. I can't see how you could put a beloved mother into a furnace to burn her remains put her in a casket and laying her in holy consecrated land seems like something a Catholic would do.
(05-17-2012, 01:02 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 12:50 PM)salus Wrote: Wouldn't anyone who committs suicide  have mental illness. People don't committ suicide for fun.

Of course not, they commit suicide out of despair and cowardice.

It's not a mental illness, it's a spiritual illness.

So what do you think of schizophrenia, psychosis, and other mental illnesses in which people hear voices which urge them to kil themselves? Psychosis can be extremely terrifying and distorts the reasoning and thinking processes of its victim.
I think that the phrase "if only we trust in Him and remain faithful" is implicit in that scriptural passage that tells us our Lord will never burden us with more than we can handle.
(05-17-2012, 09:03 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 01:02 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 12:50 PM)salus Wrote: Wouldn't anyone who committs suicide  have mental illness. People don't committ suicide for fun.

Of course not, they commit suicide out of despair and cowardice.

It's not a mental illness, it's a spiritual illness.

So what do you think of schizophrenia, psychosis, and other mental illnesses in which people hear voices which urge them to kil themselves? Psychosis can be extremely terrifying and distorts the reasoning and thinking processes of its victim.

Exceptions are not the rule, are they? Unless you're going to argue that most suicides are mentally derranged people which is a laughable proposition.
I friend of mine committed suicide years ago.  His letters indicate that something definitely snapped in him.  He complained of his head hurting in the letters.  And being raised in the Novus Ordo, he didn't know that suicide was a sin.  He stated that he went to confession that morning and was hoping that he'd "paid for his sins."  So, I doubt he had full consent of the will or the intent to commit a mortal sin at the time he did the deed.  Hopefully, God was merciful and he made it to purgatory.
It's a tough question since its normally asked after the fact by those left behind.

There is a difference though between a guy who shoots himself because he lost his job and he's taking the quick way out versus someone who's suffers from bipolar depression (which seems to be on the increase) and completely succumbs to his despair.

Ultimately, its between them and God though.
(05-18-2012, 04:32 PM)Sondaar Wrote: Ultimately, its between them and God though.

Exactly.