Fr Hans Kung becomes a sedevacantist.
LOL.  This is hilarious.
(05-23-2012, 04:03 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(05-23-2012, 03:56 PM)FleetingShadow Wrote: I just don't understand the mentality of someone who would devote his whole life to priesthood in a religion he clearly can't stand! It's mind-boggling. :eyeroll:

Ok... not going to rant...

Well, I'm sure he sees himself as being the one who is truly sticking to the spirit of Catholicism in all this.

which shows how deluded he is
(05-23-2012, 03:56 PM)FleetingShadow Wrote: I just don't understand the mentality of someone who would devote his whole life to priesthood in a religion he clearly can't stand! It's mind-boggling. :eyeroll:

Other examples of priests who make you wonder why they became priests........
Father Andrew Greeley - a spiritually frustrated megalomanic priest (who refers to God as "she" in his books) who knows more than anyone in the Church - a big thanks to all the Chicago Archbishops over the last 40 years for letting him have his own ship to steer.  :eyeroll:
Father Richard McBrien - a theologically terrifying Notre Dame teacher, who wrote the "epic" book "Catholicism" in the 1980's. A tome so wrought with errors that multiple Jesuits read it and were forced to condemn it.
(05-23-2012, 04:10 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(05-23-2012, 04:03 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:

Well, I'm sure he sees himself as being the one who is truly sticking to the spirit of Catholicism in all this.

which shows how deluded he is

Quite. Well, that's the charitable explanation. But we might be forgiven, in this case, for succumbing to just a little suspicion.

I'm reminded of a second hand story I heard Fr. Malachi Martin tell in an interview about VII. (The interview is on youtube - maybe 'the storm breaks', I don't remember.) Supposedly Kung was discussing the protestant reformers with someone advocating a schism and said 'No - this time we will stay within' or something to that effect. Pardon the gossip - I obviously can't vouch for the story and only repeat it illustrate what an alternative explanation might look like.
(05-23-2012, 04:09 PM)Walty Wrote: LOL.  This is hilarious.

Exactly!! It's so far out, even for Hans Kung.............I can't help but wonder if the media has invented the whole thing.
(05-23-2012, 03:42 PM)Old Salt Wrote: [His point is absolutely untenable when it comes to Canon Law.

Perhaps. As I said I don't know much of Canon Law. But at least the following seems a troubling issue:

Quote:The pope would be including in the Church bishops and priests that are definitely invalidly ordained. According to the Apostolic Constitution of Pope Paul VI  "Pontificalis Romani recognitio", of July 18, 1968, the ordination of bishops and priests by Archbishop Lefebvre is not only illegal but also invalid.

I had been thinking the same before. How can a priest that is invalidly ordained, suddenly become validly ordained? The article does not address this (but merely refutes the next argument that Becker would not have agreed with such a thing).
This is the first I heard of a non self identifying trad turning to sedevacantism. Are there many extreme liberal sedes out there, other than the obvious prots?
(05-24-2012, 03:53 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: This is the first I heard of a non self identifying trad turning to sedevacantism. Are there many extreme liberal sedes out there, other than the obvious prots?
They all are but just don't know it...
Most of the more hardcore liberals don't accept things like papal infallibility in the first place, at which point there is little purpose to becoming a sedevacantist.  
Of course all the liberals are effectively sede. Duh. That's part of the reason why I don't understand so much sympathy for sedes around here. They may talk different but they come to the same conclusion for the same reasons. :afraidsmiley: :readrules: